Stevens 67' Motor Yacht 1989

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gris

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mad Hatter
Vessel Make
Hatteras 43' DC
Does anyone have any experience with these, or know any good resources? I've done a fair bit of digging on the internet, but my 'Google-fu' is rather limited with more esoteric searches.

I ask only because a friend spoke about some interest in one, and wanted to see if I could find any information to pass along.

I've already given him the talk about getting surveyed and all the rest, I'm just looking for boat-specific information about the quality (overall) of these vessels.

I appreciate any input.

They made Stephens in 1989??

Stevens 67' Motor Yacht 1989
Does anyone have any experience with these, or know any good resources? I've done a fair bit of digging on the internet, but my 'Google-fu' is rather limited with more esoteric searches.

I ask only because a friend spoke about some interest in one, and wanted to see if I could find any information to pass along.

I've already given him the talk about getting surveyed and all the rest, I'm just looking for boat-specific information about the quality (overall) of these vessels.

I appreciate any input.

Good luck with review of the Stephens. Maybe the year listed is in error??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephens_Bros._Boat_Builders

Stephens Brothers Boat Builders and Designers company (Stephens Bros.), an American boat designer, began in the back yard of brothers Theodore (Thod, 1882–1933) and Robert (Roy, 1884–1953) Stephens. Their boatbuilding firm in Stockton, California operated from 1902 to 1987.

1967-1987

Late into the 1960s, the boat building market underwent a transformation. New materials like aluminum and fiberglass were proving to be more durable and affordable. The demand shifted from wood to these materials; Stephens Bros. launched its last wooden boat in 1974.
From then, the company focused solely on yachts and sailing vessels, producing nothing less than 58-foot (18 m) in length. These large yachts were very expensive to build and, because of their size and intricacy, the company could not complete more than two a year. With rising expenses and a slowing market, Stephens Bros. was no longer financially viable, and closed down in the spring of 1987.

Last edited:
Perhaps 435hp per engine....not 735 ?

While I'm no expert, this does not look like a Stephens Bros design. Even late in their production, they maintained a certain look much in the way a Hatt is recognizable

A good first question to broker would be provenance on the boat. Pretty low price point so could be some sort of orphan boat.

Good luck.

Peter

Reactions: Art
While I'm no expert, this does not look like a Stephens Bros design. Even late in their production, they maintained a certain look much in the way a Hatt is recognizable

A good first question to broker would be provenance on the boat. Pretty low price point so could be some sort of orphan boat.

Good luck.

Peter

For sure. I've passed this thread along to my friend, which should be registering here within the next few days. I'm sure he appreciates any information on the subject, regardless.

As for the design- I -wish- it were a Hatt, as at least then I could be somewhat familiar with it on a personal level! I totally understand what you mean though, where you can spot a Hatteras from a mile away just by design/looks alone.

The only thing I can guess is that it was listed incorrectly and all the other brokerage sites used the same write up.

Thanks folks.

Hummm - dated electronics, anchor chain laying on deck, no ER pictures etc. make it tough to make any positive comments.

Regarding Stephens, I agree it looks "different" from classic design of 40 years ago. There is a very interesting Hatteras 65 bank repo lying in Petersburg AK that someone will have fun bringing back. If looking for a 30 to 40 year old 65' boat condition and brand really matter.

Has your friend been on the Stephens? That should tell the tale.

Hummm - dated electronics, anchor chain laying on deck, no ER pictures etc. make it tough to make any positive comments.

Regarding Stephens, I agree it looks "different" from classic design of 40 years ago. There is a very interesting Hatteras 65 bank repo lying in Petersburg AK that someone will have fun bringing back. If looking for a 30 to 40 year old 65' boat condition and brand really matter.

Has your friend been on the Stephens? That should tell the tale.

No need for ER pics. these must be perfect with such low hours....

Main engines Detroit Diesel 8082-3303, V8-92 with single turbos 271 hours starboard, 382 hours port based on on board meters 735 HP each

For the price it doesn’t look horrible. But you would probably put that much more into it to bring it up to an acceptable level of maintenance. Curtis Stokes is a pretty reputable broker so I would ask about the condition, but he may have never been aboard the boat. I was looking at a boat he had listed a couple of years ago. I told him the condition I was looking for and he told me not to make the teip to see that particular boat because it wasn’t up to the condition I wanted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom