Synthetic oil for diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So if you were going to change annaually, would you change when you haul out and let it sit with the fresh oil, or let it sit with the stale oil, and change it before you launch in the spring ?

Also, if oil expires, does that mean when I stock up on oil and store it in my garage it has a shelf life ?
For the boat and anything else I store seasonally, if it's getting an oil change, I do it at the end of the season before storage. Makes more sense to put it away with clean oil than to let dirty oil sit in there just to change it as soon as it comes out of storage. Plus, it's one step closer to equipment coming out of storage ready to use.

For the boat and anything else I store seasonally, if it's getting an oil change, I do it at the end of the season before storage. Makes more sense to put it away with clean oil than to let dirty oil sit in there just to change it as soon as it comes out of storage. Plus, it's one step closer to equipment coming out of storage ready to use.
I agree... when I decide it's normally fall / end of season unless hi hours earlier.
Interestingly I read a Boat US article years ago that recommended spring commissioning oil change and I questioned the author stating I felt fall made more sense.
His reply was best to do both!?

My take was he couldn't accept any criticism or admit his recommendation wasn't good so he advised both which makes no sense and I doubt would be supported by engine or lube mfgrs. I lost faith in Boat US advice and do my own research / investigation before following advice blindly.

I agree... when I decide it's normally fall / end of season unless hi hours earlier.
Interestingly I read a Boat US article years ago that recommended spring commissioning oil change and I questioned the author stating I felt fall made more sense.
His reply was best to do both!?

My take was he couldn't accept any criticism or admit his recommendation wasn't good so he advised both which makes no sense and I doubt would be supported by engine or lube mfgrs. I lost faith in Boat US advice and do my own research / investigation before following advice blindly.
I've occasionally heard the "do both" advice as well. I think it's a combination of people afraid of dirty oil sitting in an engine and people who are afraid of moisture in the oil after the engine sits for a few months. Personally, I figure that any moisture that accumulates over the winter is a small enough amount it should burn off the first time the engines run in the spring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom