Tacoma’s Foss Harbor Marina opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Takoradi

Vessel Name
The Janie C
Vessel Make
Uniflite 42
My wife and I are considering a move north and starting the marina search. Anyone have experience at the Foss Harbor Marina in Tacoma?

Thanks,

Tak

Yes. I was there for two+ years 2016-18. Well maintained and managed. Good shore facilities, even a tiny but remarkable mini-market. Good security (on the shoreside, at least). Excellent location, near everything. I attempted to return there after a five-month cruise, but nothing available at the time. If I had a boat, it's the first place I would try. Car parking can be an issue.

The location is good. Central Puget Sound is a nice area as you can easily (if you time the current through the Narrows) head South to the South Sound (although don't tell anyone how nice it is). It is reasonably close to Northern Puget Sound as well. If your idea is to make frequent trips to the San Juans and Gulf Islands, then you may want to be further North. It typically is a two day trip from the Tacoma area.

The location of the marina is very convenient to downtown Tacoma, so definitely an urban environment. Given its location, there are plenty of boats services nearby.

Thank you! Exactly what we wanted to hear!

Tak

Thank you! Exactly what we wanted to hear!

Tak
What Dave neglected to say is that the best "weekend getaway" in Western Washington is only 40 minutes away in Gig Harbor...but maybe that was an intentional omission.:socool:

Another place to consider if you can't get into Foss, is Chinook Landing where I spent a couple years. It is on the other side of the Port, on the industrial Hylebos Waterway. Owned by the Puyallup Tribe, which has spent a lot of money on high-quality floats and good security. Only drawback is that it kinda nowhere. All the up-sides of Tacoma (and they are many, no matter what you have heard) are a twenty minute + drive away.

The activity in Hylebos can be very entertaining. Watching two tractor tugs back a 600' bulk carrier down the channel and (barely) through the 11th St. drawbridge is something to see.:oops:

Foss harbor is good there was a wait for a 45 plus slip when we bought in October 22. We were at Delin docks which is on the east side of the foss, south (further in) of foss harbor. Good clean friendly. Better view back to the city. A little noisy from trains and trucks. Moved to gig harbor this spring, was about a two year wait. Love it. It’s busy and fun.
Here’s our slip at Delin
IMG_2637.jpeg

Funny, I never minded the (near constant) train noise, but was infuriated by the morons winding their motorcycles up to 12,000 rpm in that echo-chamber on 705 just above the marina at 3 am!

The activity in Hylebos can be very entertaining. Watching two tractor tugs back a 600' bulk carrier down the channel and (barely) through the 11th St. drawbridge is something to see.:oops:
My Dad kept a couple boats at Hylebos over the years. Not a bad spot, but a much longer drive from West of Tacoma where we lived. You are right about the industrial marine traffic. Although, it has been a number of years since I spent much time there.

Another marina over there is Brown's Point where the Corinthian Yacht Club is located.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom