Thank You!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoid

Veteran Member
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who answered my thread regarding deck cores. I wound up having most of the teak deck removed and finished with fiberglass and nonskid. It was 35 years old with hundreds of screws showing, gaps where the thiokol was pulling away, and deep grooves in the planks. The wood had to be removed with a pneumatic chisel. There was zero evidence of water intrusion. The same person who told me the decks were only partially cored said he’d never seen an actual case of intrusion on a GB 32. Maybe socal has something to do with that. Anyway, left the teak in the cockpit and the upper helm but removed all screws, epoxied and bunged the holes. After seeing how firmly the teak was bonded to the deck, I have no regrets. I’ll replace it when it gets too thin.

Attachments

• IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0835.jpeg
    IMG_0835.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 90
Looks really good.
Have to ask, now that you have done it by removing teak, most popular way, would you consider laying glass over the old teak?

Good job, Scoid. Just wondering what product you used for the non-skid surface? Was the fibreglass faired to be true and flat? Or did the non-skid cover up imperfections in the fiberglass layer? I'm currently removing teak from the top deck of a 42 Europa and epoxy glassing. Still deciding on the non-skid surface.

Looks really good.
Have to ask, now that you have done it by removing teak, most popular way, would you consider laying glass over the old teak?
No, that was never an option for me. Still isn't. Purely for aesthetic reasons though.

#2 nice job. Id also like to know what product you used.
They used, 3 layers of fiberglass with a total of three layers of awlgrip. Sand was spread by sifter. Color is moondust. Same as new GBs.

Good job, Scoid. Just wondering what product you used for the non-skid surface? Was the fibreglass faired to be true and flat? Or did the non-skid cover up imperfections in the fiberglass layer? I'm currently removing teak from the top deck of a 42 Europa and epoxy glassing. Still deciding on the non-skid surface.
They removed all the wood and screws. Sanded the deck flat after filling all the imperfections from the removal. 3 layers of fiberglass. 3 layers of awlgrip. I believe the nonskid was added over the second coat. color is moondust.

Ok, the ugly question... ball park - how much are we talking about? And you said they only did the lower/back deck and side decks, not the upper deck, right?

Back
Top Bottom