Time for Lithium House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing to consider, I have had drop in lifepo4 with and without bluetooth. IMO bluetooth is a must.
****edit** As a matter of fact bluetooth and an on/off switch somewhere.
The reason for that is these batteries have a ton of electronics inside. They also have many parameters for shut down and protection modes and they also occasionally malfunction. Troubleshooting is SOO much easier with bluetooth. You can see if charge and discharge mosfets are on or off, if there are any codes or warnings etc and sometimes cycling power resolves things. And lastly, with no on/off button the basic batteries can "go to sleep" and must be woken up by either applying a charge or a load. And sometimes that may not work due to various conditions.

Last edited:
I wish my batteries talked to each other. Now ending the 3rd season with them, each of the BMSs is going a good job. This is where a good BMS also comes in. What I mean is, that all 4 batteries when I Bluetooth into them are 1 to 2% of SOC of each other.

One thing to consider, I have had drop in lifepo4 with and without bluetooth. IMO bluetooth is a must.
****edit** As a matter of fact bluetooth and an on/off switch somewhere.
The reason for that is these batteries have a tone of electronics inside. They also have many parameters for shut down and protection modes and they also occasionally malfunction. Troubleshooting is SOO much easier with bluetooth. You can see if charge and discharge mosfets are on or off, if there are any codes or warnings etc and sometimes cycling power resolves things. And lastly, with no on/off button the basic batteries can "go to sleep" and must be woken up by either applying a charge or a load. And sometimes that may not work due to various conditions.

This really depends on the software and hardware of the BMS. So this is important in the buying process. I would try to get a battery with the best BMS that I could. Which is not a easy task in researching.

Panbo just came out with an article on them today and these batteries look great. Cost is good too,
I just happened to see that today. It is a solid review. However, I don't know who the author is. He may be the smartest guy in the industry, but it isn't my industry so I'm clueless.

Another consideration for me is the prospective longevity of the company. A 10 year warrantee is useless unless the company issuing it is still in business 10 years on. For example, who is going to make good on your bad KiloVault battery? Unfortunately it is difficult to judge, as few of these companies have been in business even 5 years and quite a few have exited in that time. SunFun was started in 2021 (Epoch also), 3 years old and offering 10 year warrantees. They are becoming cheap enough that you may not need to depend on the warrantee, but if periodic replacement is contemplated, then the installation should be generic, rather than specific to a brand.

This is also true of the "serviceability" claimed for some brands. The cells will probably be available 6 or 8 years on, the BMS almost certainly not.

For those technically capable, those are good arguments for rolling your own.

Another consideration for me is the prospective longevity of the company. A 10 year warrantee is useless unless the company issuing it is still in business 10 years on. For example, who is going to make good on your bad KiloVault battery? Unfortunately it is difficult to judge, as few of these companies have been in business even 5 years and quite a few have exited in that time. SunFun was started in 2021 (Epoch also), 3 years old and offering 10 year warrantees. They are becoming cheap enough that you may not need to depend on the warrantee, but if periodic replacement is contemplated, then the installation should be generic, rather than specific to a brand.

This is also true of the "serviceability" claimed for some brands. The cells will probably be available 6 or 8 years on, the BMS almost certainly not.

For those technically capable, those are good arguments for rolling your own.

Its hard to look at a company and say it will be here in 5 or 10 years. That part I will never get into, since I will not fully understand it. I would focus on reviews, specs and what ever I can get my hands on.

Panbo and Marine How To did a review on KiloVault. Both give that battery high reviews and I liked the specs. I even talked tech people. All was good and 2 years later, gone........... Who knew?

If I get 3 more years out of them. I will be happy. As DDW said " They are becoming cheap enough that you may not need to depend on the warrantee,"

Keep in mind, under warranty some what you to pay for shipping. But buy new, shipping could be free. A minor plus, but true. All part of the game............

I just happened to see that today. It is a solid review. However, I don't know who the author is. He may be the smartest guy in the industry, but it isn't my industry so I'm clueless.

-Chris

Its hard to look at a company and say it will be here in 5 or 10 years. That part I will never get into, since I will not fully understand it. I would focus on reviews, specs and what ever I can get my hands on.

Panbo and Marine How To did a review on KiloVault. Both give that battery high reviews and I liked the specs. I even talked tech people. All was good and 2 years later, gone........... Who knew?

If I get 3 more years out of them. I will be happy. As DDW said " They are becoming cheap enough that you may not need to depend on the warrantee,"

Keep in mind, under warranty some what you to pay for shipping. But buy new, shipping could be free. A minor plus, but true. All part of the game............
Good points and I tend to view warranty the same. Don't get me wrong, if you receive a faulty battery they should warranty it out ASAP. But if my current lithium batts crap the bed in 3 or 4 years...I am almost guaranteed to look into a different direction since I am pretty certain in 3 or 4 years there will be some incredible options for less money. The cost of shipping a 100lb lithium product would probably go a long way towards something new and better.

As for Epoch, they are the other half of the 18650 battery store, which has been in business for quite some time as a supplier of cells. And they partnered with Roypow on their flagship brands such as the 460 Marine. Roypow is a global company that predominately supplies to governments and hospitals and industrial applications as well as Golf Carts. You can tell the difference in the engineering of the entire 460ah battery from the various teardowns. It is a complete engineering effort from the case to the BMS to plugs, all integrated in design. Where as many other batt suppliers purchase large quantities of generic cases, JBD or JK BMS's, and even cells, then hand assemble with bits of foam and glue. . Roypow has been in business for some time. But of course that's not a guarantee either but they aren't exactly a newcomer.

The 18650 battery store goes back to 2018, so 6 years. But I agree that 5 or 6 years on, you probably are better off buying then available tech, than replacing with now available tech. This is the thing that keeps me from investing in say a full on Victron lithium solution, you are then tied into those components, which is a snapshot in time of a very rapidly evolving market. So called "drops ins" are self contained for tech, and a replacement updates everything.

A roll your own is like the old component stereos, when the speakers or receiver go bad or get outdated, just replace that piece.

I don't trust the "drop ins". But thats me...

The prices are general lower than than the brand names and don't come with some things like Bluetooth, heater, comm ports and more.

Back
Top Bottom