Tipping Tips...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SF restaurant says it's avoided the labor shortage thanks to its staff benefits.

The restaurant has a no-tip policy and instead shares profits with staff.

"Tipping is a very archaic way of people making their money. It's just nice to not have tap dance for money."

SF restaurant says it's avoided the labor shortage thanks to its staff benefits.

The restaurant has a no-tip policy and instead shares profits with staff.

"Tipping is a very archaic way of people making their money. It's just nice to not have tap dance for money."

So do you think the waiters are making more or less per night at this restaurant? I'll give you a hint, it's not a guaranteed wage per hour. A share of the profits depends on all the expenses that fall into the cost of doing business before you determine the profit.

Ted

I don't think it's an East vs. West thing, but I haven't boated on the west coast so I don't know.

What you're ascribing to the west coast is really only the PNW. Much different on the rest of the coast.

Tipping at the dock is an east coast thing. I've never seen it done anywhere I've been on the west coast, nor is anyone likely to meet you at the dock on the west coast to hand a tip to. Very different in the east. I've been the length of both coasts.

Tipping at the dock is an east coast thing. I've never seen it done anywhere I've been on the west coast, nor is anyone likely to meet you at the dock on the west coast to hand a tip to. Very different in the east. I've been the length of both coasts.

It could be that on the West coast the dockhands dont come out until the larger yachts show up, only place I have seen them is in Mexico and a few places in B.C.
It could also be the difference in the amount of municipal marinas vs private marinas too.

HOLLYWOOD

In Washington, there are very few mom and pop style marinas that come out, help you land etc…. There is Roche and…..and….there must be others, but I can’t think of any. Okay, a few of the municipal marinas will staff a very few helpers in summer that will come out on demand. I hardly ever tip, as I hardly ever get service. I single hand a lot, so would happily contribute on days a little help is appreciated. What we do have, is a pretty strong community of boaters who will spot another person coming and come out of their boats and help. That’s never been really the kind of “tip your neighbor” expectation.

BC still has a few mom and pop style marinas. We try to tip when appropriate, but really it’s only about 50% of the time when there is actual service.

Funny mildly related thing. A few years back I went to the bank and had them get me a few hundred in two dollar bills. I used them in coffee shops and restaurants. You would think I was handing out twenty’s and of course, it cost me nothing but the effort to ask a bank to get me some. Most wouldn’t, but one did, took about a week.

A reminder, you may talk about the 10%'ers, the wealthy, but when you have a boat and frequent marinas, you are one of them. Maybe not a 1%'er but to others you may appear so. You're certainly among the more fortunate. You leave with an impression left behind on those you have contact with. It may impact those working hard to serve you even more than you realize. Overtipping a bit might be the best gifting to a charity you can make, an earned gift.

Well said.

Last summer one of the gas attendants pumped fuel into some weekend warriors rod holder at my marina,plus fuel at marinas during summer is over priced,I fill up during mid winter at a commercial fuel barge in Gloucester,saves me money and the frustration of summertime fueling

Shame on the boat owner for not monitoring the people on the dock pumping the fuel. It is my responsibility to make sure that they fuel my boat correctly.

Stuff like that is why I'd never let them pump (not that I've ever been anywhere they've offered). At any gas dock I've seen, the attendant hands over the hose and it's the captain's job to pump.

Not sure what the point is. Are you saying you don't tip because you are the one pumping the fuel?

Not sure what the point is. Are you saying you don't tip because you are the one pumping the fuel?

No, I still tip a fuel dock attendant for help tying up, dealing with the fuel hoses, etc. I was commenting that I've never seen a fuel dock where the attendants would pump fuel for you. Most places don't want that responsibility. And I wouldn't want them to do that part of the job anyway. At our home marina they'll never pump fuel, but they'll take care of pumpout for you if they're not too busy (if they're really busy they'll sometimes just hand you the nozzle).

No, I still tip a fuel dock attendant for help tying up, dealing with the fuel hoses, etc. I was commenting that I've never seen a fuel dock where the attendants would pump fuel for you. Most places don't want that responsibility. And I wouldn't want them to do that part of the job anyway. At our home marina they'll never pump fuel, but they'll take care of pumpout for you if they're not too busy (if they're really busy they'll sometimes just hand you the nozzle).

Thanks for clarifying. I've seen both. Usually they will hand me the nozzle and they control turning the pump on and off. But I have seen places where they pump the fuel. I'm sure it's a matter if liability. Maybe it varies from state to state. Like some states forbid self-serve gas pumps for cars. I wonder who is responsible if a fuel spill occurs if it's the marina's facility but the boat owner handling the nozzle. I'm sure someone here knows. Regardless I still tip at least a few dollars for the help they provide even if i pump the fuel.

Thanks for clarifying. I've seen both. Usually they will hand me the nozzle and they control turning the pump on and off. But I have seen places where they pump the fuel. I'm sure it's a matter if liability. Maybe it varies from state to state. Like some states forbid self-serve gas pumps for cars. I wonder who is responsible if a fuel spill occurs if it's the marina's facility but the boat owner handling the nozzle. I'm sure someone here knows. Regardless I still tip at least a few dollars for the help they provide even if i pump the fuel.

The one arrangement I've seen that surprises me liability wise is at Winter Harbor in Brewerton, NY. The fuel dock attendant only comes down if you call for them. Otherwise, the fuel dock is 24/7, self service with card slots on the pumps like a gas station for cars. Only place I've ever seen that setup.

Think they got rid of it but there was one marina in Georgetown, SC that had one.

Think they got rid of it but there was one marina in Georgetown, SC that had one.

There were some on the coast and on the lake at one time. I think most self service fuel pumps on the coast have disappeared. My understanding of the reason was two fold. One was spillage, but the overriding reason was fraud and theft. It's one thing at a gas station when someone steals 15 gallons with a fake card, but when they take 4000 gallons on the coast, quite a bit more painful.

There were some on the coast and on the lake at one time. I think most self service fuel pumps on the coast have disappeared. My understanding of the reason was two fold. One was spillage, but the overriding reason was fraud and theft. It's one thing at a gas station when someone steals 15 gallons with a fake card, but when they take 4000 gallons on the coast, quite a bit more painful.

What is a "fake card" and how would having an attendant prevent that?

Kind of funny this topic was brought up. I was just telling the wife about the olden days..
I grew up in Everett not far from the Everett Marina. Back in the 80's-90's the fuel dock was ran by kids in High School during the summer. They would catch the lines, and help in any way that you needed. Dad always tipped them very well, they knew his boat and would come running. It was a highly sought after job, as the tips were high if you worked hard.
Now days the fuel dock is manned by one person, they run the card machine and don’t offer much help unless it’s a train wreck going on.
We do tip (they cannot accept cash) the hall out crews. The wife runs over to the Café and orders up a bunch of random lunch combo’s or she goes and buys a few boxes of donuts. I am not sure why, but every time I hall out it’s a complete downpour. And with a flared bow boat it takes a little extra work with the blocks. So everyone is good and soaked by the time were done. But all are happy to have a warm lunch or fresh donuts together.
About the only marinas we go to that have help are Friday Harbor, and Roach. We tip them very well and always get very good service. Roach was the first harbor we docked our new to us 33’ besides practice at the home port. The dock crew was on point, and really made me look like a pro (I was really scared). The wife handed them a large sum of $$. We went out fishing each day of our 5 day trip. As soon as they would see the little “red top” boat come around to dock they were waiting for us. I would say they improved my docking skills that week. With them ready on all corners I could really concentrate on my job. We figured out where and what the wife should be doing and how to do it. And not worry as much about bumping a dock. At the end of our stay I also tipped them.
A few weeks later I was adding up the totals of the trip, I was short $400.00 in cash…. The wife said she tipped each one $100.00 that first day. I feel it was worth it for all of us.
And your right, in the PNW if you are coming into dock, most will put their drink down, hop out of the lawn chair and offer a hand. Or move a few boats around to make room. Our home dock will have 3-4 people standing ready. Yes they will poke fun of you if you botch an approach. But at least someone is there as wind and river currents can be a problem.

What is a "fake card" and how would having an attendant prevent that?

Counterfeit credit card and having an attendant identifies the individual by requiring id, and the boat by visual identification. The theft was largely in the middle of the night.

Counterfeit credit card and having an attendant identifies the individual by requiring id, and the boat by visual identification. The theft was largely in the middle of the night.

I've never been asked for an ID when using a card, or had them record my boat name or reg# but I agree there is probably some deterrent vs. an un-manned fuel pump.

I've never been asked for an ID when using a card, or had them record my boat name or reg# but I agree there is probably some deterrent vs. an un-manned fuel pump.

Interesting.
My wife and I do not sign credit cards, but rather write "ask for photo ID". Maybe once I got asked.

I don't think anyone really cares these days whether credit cards are signed or not. Especially since they've become chipped, they get plugged into the device and if they work, no questions asked. Speaking of which, makes me think about BanB talking about fake credit cards. Not sure that's possible with requiring chipped cards, but of course they could always be stolen. But again, nobody usually checks.

Yeah, I have never signed any of my cards for years and it's never been an issue, never questioned.

I have mixed feelings about tipping and mostly for the reasons discussed in this thread. It is a weird and sometime awkward thing. But as a part-time, seasonal Captain of classic Friendship sloops, I can tell you that the tips are always appreciated!

I agree, they don't know my boat or how I run the boat. They also have a tendency to push or pull on railings. And they pull the bow in too tight if they get a bow line.

I make a point of having a bow line available but not within reach of a dock attendant. As you mentioned, they'll screw things up every time.

We tip $5-10 depending on their helpfulness. Occasionally, one goes the extra mile and may get more.

Tipping

And that's what we base ours own. You're a yacht owner. They're struggling on low wages. Tip generously and you'll feel better and they'll show their appreciation and remember. We tip on arrival and departure and sometimes for things in between. $5 was a standard, but now we're more inclined to $10 and $20 for exceptional. Generously for fueling. If we're in a 50-60' boat, we're likely to tip a total to various dockhands of $50-60 on our stay at a marina.

A reminder, you may talk about the 10%'ers, the wealthy, but when you have a boat and frequent marinas, you are one of them. Maybe not a 1%'er but to others you may appear so. You're certainly among the more fortunate. You leave with an impression left behind on those you have contact with. It may impact those working hard to serve you even more than you realize. Overtipping a bit might be the best gifting to a charity you can make, an earned gift.

We do this^

I find it painful to see the card machine pop up options for a tip when I go to pick up take out. Never mind the options start at 12% & up to 22%.
Solution, eat out less and transfer funds to boat buck account.

I find it painful to see the card machine pop up options for a tip when I go to pick up take out. Never mind the options start at 12% & up to 22%.
Solution, eat out less and transfer funds to boat buck account.

SV, I agree that takeout is not something that I normally think to tip for if I am picking it up. However in the last couple years I make it a point to tip generously for take out too because the small family restaurants are struggling to survive in an unusal environment. I don't do a lot of takeout but when I do it is often from a neighborhood Chinese restaurant. They have been strictly takeout for the last couple years due to COVID. When I pick up my bags of food, there is a young woman doing the transaction from behind a window while her grade school age daughter sits in the restaurant coloring and watching people come and go outside. Takeout is not expensive to begin with, so even 25% is not a lot of money. If you have to worry about tipping a few dollars in a situation like that, maybe you should consider whether you can really afford boating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom