Tow boat US warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ontariojeff

Hello,

I decided to share this warning about Tow Boat U.S. here.

As a gold unlimited member for around 10 years, I haven't really utilized their services much. However, during my recent trip on the loop from the keys to the trent severen waterway in Canada, we encountered some unfortunate incidents departing from Florida.

Firstly, our 57ft cruiser ran aground and ended up breaking two props. We had to get a tow from Key Largo Sound entrance to Key Largo sound. After locating and purchasing two used props for $12,000, we hired a diver to reassemble them.

Next, while in Key Largo sound, our mooring ball line snapped due to heavy winds, and we got blown onto the beach, damaging the newly replaced props. Luckily, we were able to get a tow to a new mooring ball in Key Largo sound.

I then drove the boat, with the damaged props, to Key Largo marina for a haul out. We had to repair both props again and have the shafts straightened. This cost us $20,000, including accommodation expenses.

To add to our troubles, the fuel pump malfunctioned at Bal Harbor anchorage, and we needed a tow for 5 miles to North Bay Village.

All of these mishaps occurred within a 6-week period.

However, despite being a long-standing member, Tow Boat U.S. has decided to cancel my membership and even shut me out of my login portal on their site. When I spoke with "Joseph," he refused to provide his full name, title, or phone number. He stated that the reason for this action was not because I may have not completed the repairs or that all the incidents were related, but simply because I used their services too much within a 6-week span.

hmmm

I see both sides of this. You have reasonable explanations for all the things that happened but...

three tows in 6 weeks is a lot of avtivity.

It will be interesting to see how others feel about this.

Any warnings about useage in the paperwork? Did you deliberately damage the boat?
If not then personally I think they should have stood behind their offer.

My old assistance tow boss may have dropped you too for the "accident prone" nature of that trip.

3 tows SPREAD over 10 years would probably not have been flagged unless they were "memorable".

You can appeal to national BoatUS Towing and they may negotiate with you, especially if you limit your trips or agree to some things about your current trip.

Was the tow from aground to the mooring ball in Key Largo by BoatUS?

About the fuel pump issue, are you not twins? Bow thruster?

Last edited:
When I was at University a million years ago, I was having a beer with a friend who said his insurance had cancelled him because he'd been rear ended three times in the last couple years. He figured there was no way he could be responsible for being rear ended. The insurance company said he was just a bad risk - nothing personal.

Now, while the insurance company just went with the actuarial tables, I quietly understood their position. You see, I had driven with Sam many times. He was a really bad driver and while I have no idea how he got rear ended so many times, of all the drivers I knew, he certainly did unexpected things. Braking unexpectedly wasn't out of reach.

Not saying anything untoward about the OP, but I'd venture that when it comes to actuarial tables, there is some Kentucky windage figured into the tables. Runaway from people who's only offense is bad luck.

Peter

EDIT - really sorry for your bad run of luck. Sounds like a lousy time. Hope things turn for the better.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

When you wrote, "our mooring ball line snapped due to heavy winds ", was that your line or the line permanently attached to the mooring? If it was the permanent line that failed, that shouldn't reflect on you. Was it a private, business, or municipal mooring?

I can understand that BoatUS may view the mishaps as your fault if it wasn't the permanent mooring line that broke. While it's unfortunate that they are no longer willing to insure you, it's probably cost them atleast twice what you paid in towing insurance premiums over the last 10 years. If they canceled your policy (which is their right), you are entitled to the balance of the premium as a percentage of the policy calender year.

Many boat insurance policies have some level of towing insurance included, should you need it.

I don't know if towing insurance companies share information, but have you considered Sea Tow as an option?

Ted

“the fuel pump malfunctioned at Bal Harbor anchorage, and we needed a tow for 5 miles to North Bay Village.”

Can you explain how this took out both of your engines?

Often both tow companies know of who the other company tows...and word gets out then one boat of that size gets towed in the same area more than a couple times.

Some tow company owners are friendly enough to get a heads up from even the competitor company for similar situations so switching companies may or may not work out as a frequent flyer.

From BoatUS membership agreement....

"7. 8. 9. Our Right to Cancel: We reserve the right to immediately cancel this Agreement for abuse of privileges. This includes, without limitation, misrepresentation of vessel condition, excessive towing, lack of care and diligence in the operation and maintenance of the vessel, and fraud."

Last edited:
Heavy winds and tides swept through Bal Harbor inlet, leaving us facing a challenging situation without a bow thruster and having to rely on one engine. My wife was filled with anxiety as we contemplated navigating the narrow passage between buoys, compounded by the fact that it was nighttime.

the mooring ball line snapped, a victim of the powerful 40 mph gusts.
after the second tow I secured the boat to a second ball in the darkness of the night. I tied three lines - one to their loop and two directly around their ball. As an additional precaution, I dropped my anchor.

I must give credit where credit is due, as John Pennecamp park stepped up and took responsibility for their snapped line, covering all expenses incurred as a result.

If I were going to be cruising long distance I would have both Tow Boat US and Sea Tow. Then change tow companies fro each tow and spread the tows out. The annual premiums aren’t that expensive.
This would also CYA if you're in an area with only one provider.

Once in my life I really liked the old Jaguars. Well, AAA road assistance canceled me. Womp..womp...womp. What is the only thing British Leyland that dose not suck? Who know the answer.

Once in my life I really liked the old Jaguars. Well, AAA road assistance canceled me. Womp..womp...womp. What is the only thing British Leyland that dose not suck? Who know the answer.

Why do the British drink their beer warm? Lucas Electrics also made refrigerators (sha-boom)......uh-oh.....thread drift alert.

Peter

The intake manifold?

Insurance, which towboat and sea tow are after all, is not on business of paying out.
Often, on this forum we hear people with zero claims getting told boat insurance will not be renewed. The actuaries predict it is likely your turn to put in a claim. 30 plus year old boats are getting harder to insure.
If I had the luck of the OP, the admiral would make sure tow insurance is the least of my worries.

This would also CYA if you're in an area with only one provider.
Agree with this ... except that as far as I know Sea Tow doesn't exist at all in the PNW. Only BoatUS ... and then C-Tow for Canada (and part of Washington).

They are in business to make money. If they loose money, everyone else has to pay more. It is in their profit-maximizing self interest to identify excessive risks (ie, those which, present an expected loss) and to decline coverage. It is also in their profit-maximizing self interest to continue to insure risks that, despite a bad loss history, are likely to be profitable in the future. The competitive nature and large markets in which more typical casualty insurers operate compels those insurers to spend a lot of time and money to determine where to draw that line (and to adjust premiums accordingly). By contrast, Boat US doesn't seem to have much competition and its market is relatively small, so it may be less disciplined in its decision making.

But, assuming that you experience demonstrates that Boat US' decision to decline coverage is not rational, what are the rest of us to do with that info? Boycotting/opting to self-insure for that reason seems pointless. FWIW, I concluded that the cost of tow coverage greatly exceeds my risk of needing that coverage, and have self-insured for the past 30 years or so. During that time, I needed assistance once (my dinghy battery was dead), and I paid a tow boat operator who happened past $20 for a jump. I am definitely money ahead.

Heavy winds and tides swept through Bal Harbor inlet, leaving us facing a challenging situation without a bow thruster and having to rely on one engine. My wife was filled with anxiety as we contemplated navigating the narrow passage between buoys, compounded by the fact that it was nighttime.

the mooring ball line snapped, a victim of the powerful 40 mph gusts.
after the second tow I secured the boat to a second ball in the darkness of the night. I tied three lines - one to their loop and two directly around their ball. As an additional precaution, I dropped my anchor.

I must give credit where credit is due, as John Pennecamp park stepped up and took responsibility for their snapped line, covering all expenses incurred as a result.
will not comment on the mechanical issues only on the mooring
You did well on securing your boat with 3 lines on your second one.
Personally, do not trust my safety to the provided lines and ALWAYS use TWO lines on opposite bow cleats, leaving the original with a little slack.
however, as anticipated high winds last year, I ran a third line around the ball with extra slack, on a temporary assigned mooring.

Incidentally, the same mooring field I have to call the office as a nearby mooring was getting very close to my boat as part of that mooring dragging.

Bottom line (not pun intended), we are responsible for the safety of our boats and TRUST no aspect of boating, that includes boats anchored close by, dock cleats etc.

Hello,

I decided to share this warning about Tow Boat U.S. here.

As a gold unlimited member for around 10 years, I haven't really utilized their services much. However, during my recent trip on the loop from the keys to the trent severen waterway in Canada, we encountered some unfortunate incidents departing from Florida.

Firstly, our 57ft cruiser ran aground and ended up breaking two props. We had to get a tow from Key Largo Sound entrance to Key Largo sound. After locating and purchasing two used props for $12,000, we hired a diver to reassemble them.

Next, while in Key Largo sound, our mooring ball line snapped due to heavy winds, and we got blown onto the beach, damaging the newly replaced props. Luckily, we were able to get a tow to a new mooring ball in Key Largo sound.

I then drove the boat, with the damaged props, to Key Largo marina for a haul out. We had to repair both props again and have the shafts straightened. This cost us $20,000, including accommodation expenses.

To add to our troubles, the fuel pump malfunctioned at Bal Harbor anchorage, and we needed a tow for 5 miles to North Bay Village.

All of these mishaps occurred within a 6-week period.

However, despite being a long-standing member, Tow Boat U.S. has decided to cancel my membership and even shut me out of my login portal on their site. When I spoke with "Joseph," he refused to provide his full name, title, or phone number. He stated that the reason for this action was not because I may have not completed the repairs or that all the incidents were related, but simply because I used their services too much within a 6-week span.
My heart sank reading your story. What an awful string of events.

I was working a large IT project years ago and there was concern that a critical 3rd party might not cooperate. At the big conference to clear up issues, the 3rd party boss said, “It’s simple. If it’s in the contract, we’ll do it. If it’s not, we won’t.” Your answer is in the contract. If they violated a provision, get an attorney. Otherwise, not sure you have any leverage as outrageous as the situation may be.

Tak

Have you spoken with a membership services rep at BoatUS, not Tow BoatUS?

It is indeed unfortunate that the OP had a string of incidents but as said above they are in business to make money. They are not a public service or a non profit. If they can’t make money then they will be out of business and no one will be able to get a tow. You could still get a tow from them but you will have to pay out of pocket and then submit to your insurance company if you have towing coverage with your insurance. I still say if you are doing cruising that I would get both Boat/US and Sea Tow. Then alternate towing incidents with the two companies. It is similar to auto insurance, if you were to have a string of collisions in a short time they would also probably cancel you. The tows the OP referred to, groundings, would have cost thousands of dollars to do. Even with 10 years of dues they are in the hole with multiple tows in that short of a time.

"No good deed goes unpunished".

I've had to use TowBoatUS a couple of times. From my initial call for help to the actual tow and friendly "goodbye" wave afterwards, my experiences with them have always been outstanding. I have only used them when I was in a real "pickle". Each time, seeing them approaching from a distance and knowing that help had arrived, was an enormous relief!

To the OP: I am guessing that each time you called TowBoatUS for help you had the same experience as I did. Your Admiral who initially was probably near tears or near panic was probably overjoyed each time she saw them. And you probably said a private prayer of thanks to Neptune or to the Heavens each time you saw them.

I am also guessing that the tow boat operators probably gave you outstanding effort and service in getting you out of your "pickles".

I am guessing that you're actually upset not because they didn't do a GREAT job assisting you each time you needed them. But because you are worried about what might happen in the future when in your next "pickle" you don't have TowBoatUS to call for more outstanding service.

This is an "opinion" forum, so I'm just stating my opinion. And my opinion is that while it is useful (but not surprising) information for all of us to learn that TowBoatUS may drop you if you make what they consider to be too many claims, the tone of your post -- especially the wording of the thread caption -- seems to me unfairly critical and unappreciative towards TowBoatUS.

It's not like you ran aground, called them for help, and they refused to come out to help because of your claims history with them. The fact is they saved you, your Admiral, and your boat. Not once, but THREE times! Just like they promised to do in their contract with you.

This may sound overly critical of the OP, which is definitely NOT my intent. I apologize if I offend. But different people often have different perspectives when looking at the same event, and I am just giving my take on this situation. You have gotten way more than you paid for thus far with TowBoatUS.

Bob

I've learned to keep both Tow Boat US and Sea Tow coverage. Nothing against either. It's just that availability of each is regional. Three times, on delivery gigs, I've called Tow Boat US, given the owner's membership number, and gotten "We don't have a boat available. We can call the Coast Guard for you." On the flip side, I've had two great experiences with Sea Tow. Both in remote locations and the operator went out of their way to help, no extra charge. I assume that's only dumb luck, and in different areas I would have found the opposite.

Decisions aren’t made by people but rather computer generated using an algorithm.
One can look at these events and see ways owner/operator could have decreased probability of there occurrence. In some harbors moorings must be put in meeting requirements for force 9 loading. And they must be inspected annually. Also they are sized stipulating size/weight of boat allowed to use them. Many harbors and private vendors do not.
When I pick up a mooring and go to pay for it ask about its health and particulars. If if doesn’t meet requirements I don’t use it even if it means anchoring. If forced I will dive a mooring chain and supply my own pendant. Due diligence. Similarly unless I’m totally comfortable will have the anchor ready to go with a touch of a button. Windlass controls left on and no anchor restraints.
Running aground will be viewed the same way by the tow company. Understand it’s not if but when but they view it as due diligence.
Unfortunately now a days you can trust no one but yourself. Vendors feel the sweeze and and more aren’t reliably doing the maintenance. OP made totally reasonable assumptions but unfortunately no longer viable. The failures were not his own. I feel his pain. Would ask vendors when he can reapply for towing insurance and if there’s any training or other intervention he can do to shorten that time. I would suggest all of us learn from his experience and not trust any mooring, dock or anchor field without prior due diligence. Only by prior bad experience do I know what to trust. Where to anchor in Block I. or Newport. Whose moorings to trust in my local area.

Back
Top Bottom