Trawlers - Used Prices and Inventory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VanBrudenship

Veteran Member
It seems there are not many used trawlers hitting the market, at least in my segment. Curious what others are seeing and expect the market to do. Looking to upgrade into a 30-35 ft flybridge trawler. There were a couple nice boats that sold quickling in the early summer and now not much. Many boats (CL, BT, YW, FB Marketplace) have been sitting the whole summer and not selling. You Tube and other places cite a "Crash" in boat prices but I'm not seeing it nor an increase in boats for sale. Maybe when some "Loopers" finish in Fall there will be an increase in inventory?

THOUGHTS???

There are always plenty of boats for sale.
But if you are like me you have an idea of what you want that is when there is a limited supply. Pick a make/model and you may be down to a handful within a reasonable distance. All the other inventory no longer matter.
I worry more about my resale to a lower number of young buyers entering the market as we age out of boating. The costs of boating will continue to reduce potential buyers and in the long term prices will fall as supply exceeds demand.

One thing I see is that 30-35 feet may not be large enough range to encompass many traditional trawlers.

34 feet is one size that always pops up to me, but you might expend to 36 feet and I will think you will see that number jump an if to 42 feet, it should easily be way more than your current numbers. The next number group for "pocket trawlers" would be 25-29 feet. Seems like there was a number of those for awhile, but they are more for minimalists.

Not being in the trawler market, I am not aware of total numbers, but based on decades of percentages I have seen...go up a bit or change your search from "trawler" to either sort though all types of boats as some advertise with unusual "descriptions" till you find the most common ones the search with those.

I know exactly what I want, no help needed there. Just wondering what others are seeing in the trawler market and where they think it's headed. Lengthy thread over at Hull Truth but not particular to trawlers so thought I'd ask here.

I am in the Pacific Northwest and have seen reasonably clean Taiwan trawlers with minimal warts priced well sell in 24-48 hours. I've also seen train wrecks sit for months and months. I lost a deal on a good one that I think was bought without a haul out or survey. It went in 2 days so you have to check ads daily here to get the chance at the well priced ones. On another boat I was number 3 in line and the first guy got it under contract in about 18 hours from it's listing time and it sold. A 1980 or newer Grand Banks 36 will rarely come on the market and half are priced to the moon and sit for months or are priced well and sell in less than a month. I have seen prices drop on some boats but not enough to move them. Example I looked at a 70s era CHB 34 that has been undercover pretty much since new. The interior wood was impeccable and gelcoat was good but electronics were dated, hot water tank was a rust bucket, coolant reservoir was empty, motor mount was loose, heat exchanger was leaking, batteries were mismatched and just look like deferred maintenance any where you looked in the engine room. And somebody recently pressure washed the decks I am sure in an attempt to make them look "bright" but they blew out at least 125 bungs on the lower teak decks. The boat was listed at $65k and then reduced to $55k but it's not moving. Overall I do think prices are coming down, if you look at yachtworld many styles of boats at all price points are labeled with price reduced.

A well kept boat that is priced correctly will sell. The boats that I have seen lingering on the listing sites are generally in poor condition or way overpriced. For $30 anyone can get a monthly subscription to the BUC value index. Those values may not be set in stone but, they can give you a fair idea of the boat's value.

Trawlers have grown in size as manufacturers realize there is more profit in larger boats. As a result, you see very few true trawlers built in the 30 to 35' range. As older boats sink, get neglected or just end up in the landfill, there are just going to be fewer boats (in good conditions). As others have mentioned, look everyday online and walk the docks whenever possible. If the particular boat you want has an owner's club associated with it, join and make it known you are looking.

Ted

Trawlers have grown in size as manufacturers realize there is more profit in larger boats. As a result, you see very few true trawlers built in the 30 to 35' range. As older boats sink, get neglected or just end up in the landfill, there are just going to be fewer boats (in good conditions). As others have mentioned, look everyday online and walk the docks whenever possible. If the particular boat you want has an owner's club associated with it, join and make it known you are looking.

Ted
A recent article was discussing the demise of 30' cruising sailboats. The problem is, it costs a builder nearly as much to make a 30' boat as a 35-37' boat. And, the profit margins aren't nearly as good.

Yep, medium sized boats are disappearing. Marinas are getting rid of the small slips and reconfiguring to 40 foot plus. I think 40 is the new 30.

It depends on the area. There are still lots of smaller boats here on Lake Ontario, although even some of the historically small yacht clubs are reconfiguring a bit to accommodate some larger boats. Many of them can't turn all of their slips into big ones, but they can manage to accommodate a few bigger boats and more in the mid 30s range rather than just a bunch of 30 footers.

With powerboats, it seems to be the low 30s range that's disappearing. Small stuff is still around and bigger stuff is, but I see proportionally less boats in the low 30s range. For sail the size distribution still seems to favor under 40 (for various reasons), but there are more 45+ footers around than there were a few years ago.

Look at the economy. The stock market is strong, this means rich people still feel rich and newer expensive boats are still in demand.

Look at the jobs report and retail consumers report. Both are down. This means the middle class is struggling. Older lower end boats have no buyers and prices are falling.

Want an old Hatteras 53 or Bayliner 4588? Prices are now cheap.

We are just back from two months in the central BC coast and Gardner Canal. We noticed a change in both the demographics and type of vessels out. There were A LOT more larger boats out they than past years. 60 and 70 footers. Expensive ones. Fast ones. We saw two 72 foot power catamarans. Sister ships. Party boats. It’s the central coast for @$&*% sakes! Not unusual to have 4-5 60-70 footers tie up at Ocean Falls, and of course they connect to two 30 amp connections at the pedestal. We had difficulty connecting to shore power as a result.

Jim

Yeah, times have changed. The traditional cruising demographic used to tilt heavily toward the working class; families, empty nesters and retirees.

Those have totally disappeared from many marinas I know of, including my home marina. No-one is on their boats overnight, either at the dock or out cruising. Some are out day fishing in shiny, new boats with tens of thousands of dollars' worth of reels. Others take their high-speed, Euro-designed fair-weather boats on a quick run to have dinner in a trendy destination 50 miles away, and are back the same day. As always, there are boats which are just for show, and never leave the dock.

The cruisers used to be the lower- to mid-middle class. Those don't seem to exist any more.

Once we decided on which boat we wanted (34' with fully enclosed shower), it took about 6 months of looking but we found it. Now after redoing a lot of it, lots of upgrades and using it weekly, it's time to let it go very soon. Honing in on what you like is the biggest part of the process. It was for us.

Last edited:
I eyed this market for about a year now. It does seem some vessels go very quick and then there quite a few on YW for a long time which I imagine are in poor shape?

In any event, will the prices on the older vessels go down if not for any other reason that I keep hearing the cost of ownership continues to vastly increase?

So that somewhat affordable trawler may be a thing of the past when you account for all the consequential costs?

I think PSNEELD's comment is very apt. I am also in the market right now, and am seeing very few boats available, but part of that is I am looking for just 2 or 3 specific boats, and also within the northeast, because I am getting to old to go to Florida or the West Coast to look at a boat.
But if you go on Boattrader right now, and look for trawlers with a max of 35', they have 90. If you go up to 38' there are 122, and at 42' there are over 170 listings.
I have not seen any crash in prices at all, except for the boats that have been sitting for a long time, and most of those have been sitting for a reason.
You might also try expanding your search to include "downeast" models which, in some cases are not very different from "trawlers".( I know there can be a LOT of disagreement about this!) Especially here in the Northeast, that would greatly expand your options.
You can also try picking a specific region; the Chesapeake, Newport and Portland(ME) areas probably have the most selection within a reasonable drive from where I am, for instance.
Boat shows can be a good place to see a lot of different brands, and most of them now also show used as well as new. There is also TrawlerFest, although personally I have found it disappointing in recent years.
I enjoy looking, fortunately, hope you enjoy the hunt also.
Peter

A well kept boat that is priced correctly will sell. The boats that I have seen lingering on the listing sites are generally in poor condition or way overpriced. For $30 anyone can get a monthly subscription to the BUC value index. Those values may not be set in stone but, they can give you a fair idea of the boat's value.
You will never buy a boat based upon the BUC prices. The numbers are unrealistically low, unless you are looking for a salvage boat, that you are willing to rebuild.

You will never buy a boat based upon the BUC prices. The numbers are unrealistically low, unless you are looking for a salvage boat, that you are willing to rebuild.
Hmm. I subscribe to BUC and I see nice boats on a daily basis priced below BUC. Maybe you just overpay for your boats.

Peter --- agreed, in my rare downtime I do enjoy browsing thru the online listings — thoughts of many fine adventures.

On the other hand, don’t want to spend the money required for a newer vessel, so the fear factor is steep.

Hmm. I subscribe to BUC and I see nice boats on a daily basis priced below BUC. Maybe you just overpay for your boats.
You may be right:) Maybe. Have you actually bought a boat based in a BUC price range?
I'd like to have a real life example to see the condition of the boat and how much the new owner was required to make the boat come up to fair condition. No less Bristol .

You may be right:) Maybe. Have you actually bought a boat based in a BUC price range?
I'd like to have a real life example to see the condition of the boat and how much the new owner was required to make the boat come up to fair condition. No less Bristol .
I bought my current boat this past February for about 6k less than BUC. I feel like the boat was pretty much in “BUC” condition. There are so many factors at play. I just feel BUC is a better indicator of a boat’s true value than what a broker or even surveyor estimates. For what it’s worth, the surveyor valued her higher than BUC and my purchase price

I am seeing less boats overall for sale down here in the Keys. It seems to be similar to the real estate market less inventory, higher interest rates, and increased prices causing a reduction in sales. IMOP the economy is slowing and people do not want to make big moves one way or another.

FYI: My library has a subscription to BUC a person could use for free. Maybe check local library.

We are just back from two months in the central BC coast and Gardner Canal. We noticed a change in both the demographics and type of vessels out. There were A LOT more larger boats out they than past years. 60 and 70 footers. Expensive ones. Fast ones. We saw two 72 foot power catamarans. Sister ships. Party boats. It’s the central coast for @$&*% sakes! Not unusual to have 4-5 60-70 footers tie up at Ocean Falls, and of course they connect to two 30 amp connections at the pedestal. We had difficulty connecting to shore power as a result.

Jim
Just came across this thread now. We also spent a couple of months in the central BC coast this summer, including the entire Gardner Canal.

We also noticed a change this year with more boats on the central coast than we have seen before. Busier everywhere including remote areas. Harder to get into marinas. In fact reservations are required now where you used to be able to just show up. Which makes Starlink almost mandatory. Starlink! - which we only just heard about a couple of years ago!

And more larger boats than ever before. My comment is "60 is the new 40 feet".

The Gardner Canal was great. The scenery is dramatic from Owyacumish on up.

Curious how does the Boat Trader price checker tool stack up against the BUC value?

Check out Camano 31s, primary model is a flybridge single engine diesel. Prices have held up well over the long history of the design - I think oldest year model was 1989 or so, last around 2007. Helmsman version came along later, much higher cost, added something like 2,000 pounds extra displacement on essentially the same hull, but with upgraded interior, hinged radar arch, etc.

Adequate inventory on Yachtworld on both coasts at present - numerous price reductions in the last year. Active Trawler Forum link, "Helmsman/Camano". Two Owners' Associations - East Coast Camano Owners Association - not sure if that one is still active - no response from my last attempted contact, and a Pacific association, too. Your yacht broker can provide recent closed sales info, too, so there are plenty of sources to check out price trend on your coast, regional market.

Trend in prices is clearly softening following firmness throughout the Covid period, but in general reflect the quality, durability, high functionality and durable good looks. Seems to me that the current market prices are on the long term trend line pre-covid, with inventory close to zero in the Covid Peak with firmer prices, and inventory and prices now back to a more normal trend line. Value retention has been very good over time, clearly better than most boats in this size range, in keeping with durability, no exterior wood, classic work boat styling, flexibility of dual steering stations. Variance between asking prices is probably mostly a function of engine hours, generator or not, electronics package, age.

Have fun boat shopping!

The only problem is that many insurance agencies use BUC for value, no matter what improvements you make.

I do valuations several times a week. Until recently you would be correct. In 2008 people wouldn't pay as much as what Buc said. Around 2018 that reversed, and Buc and other guides were low compared to the market. They eventually caught up. These days Buc is not too far off, but boats seem to be sitting longer according to people I know in the business. Things are a bit sluggish but it's not 2008 yet...

The Camano 31 models on BT and YW have not been moving and seeing price reductions 10-25% ish. All have Volvo engines (on my NO list). Even with price reductions they are not selling.

I am seeing more on the market recently, many citing health issues for selling. I've reached out on a couple boats have not gotten replies from the brokers??? Maybe these are the "good" ones that already have a buyer?

To the pins in a head wind and no boat in sight yet....

Back
Top Bottom