Turning a 7 gallon bucket into a propane locker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
I have a 10 lb propane tank that supplies my rail mounted Weber Q grill and nothing else, there is no other propane on the boat. I MUCH prefer it to the 1 lb bottles, it cuts gas cost by nearly 90%, it's safe to refill, provides way longer burn time, doesn't create waste and I can refill it in the Bahamas or at my local Ace Hardware. Only issue is where to store it, I don't like leaving it on deck as it will rust. I don't have a dedicated propane locker on board, or even a locker that I would feel safe putting it in as they all have electrical wires or lights in them and none are vented.

Honestly, I didn't really like storing the one pound bottles either, they always seemed like a leak risk to me.

So I am trying out a seven gallon bucket I got on Amazon, it is the same diameter as a five gallon bucket but tall enough to hold the 19" tall tank, and has a screw on lid. It set me back about $15. My plan is to drill three or four 3/4" vent holes as close to the bottom as possible and to cut a hole in the side near the top to slip the supply hose through. I suppose I could drill the vent holes through the bottom if you guys think that would be better. I am going to take the handle off the bucket to prevent rust and strap it to a stanchion. It's white, so it should be pretty unobtrusive.

Anyone see any issues? or have ideas for improvement?

Thanks,

Doug

If you don't mind seeing the bare tank, you could attach securement to the deck and just leave it naked like most backyard grills.

Vents should be at the very bottom of the tank as propane is heavier than air. You could buy an aluminum tank to strap on the rail instead, although they are a bit pricey.

Sounds fine. I believe there is a distance factor to any openings into the hull something like 36-48 inches.

I had a naked 20lb tank on my flybridge just under a fabric cover and it was never flagged in several surveys.

Or a Fiberglas one. Personally, I just use a standard 20lb bottle, either in a milk crate or sitting on a square of dri deck. It easily lasts a season of cruising with daily use, them I trade it for refill, so rust isn’t an issue.

Aluminum. I added rubber pads to the bottom of the feet.

Attachments

• IMG_6297.jpeg
    IMG_6297.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 23
Sounds fine. I believe there is a distance factor to any openings into the hull something like 36-48 inches.

I had a naked 20lb tank on my flybridge just under a fabric cover and it was never flagged in several surveys.
@Dougcole,
@psneeld makes a great point. There are specific requirements as to how close the vent from a propane can be to openings. This includes ports, opening windows, doors, hatches, and ER vents. I saw the surveyor on my boat take out a tape measure and check them all. It isn't just a survey concern, you really do have to be careful with the propane.

Other than that, I think it is a great idea. Put the holes in the bottom of the bucket, or on the side AT the bottom so any propane will flow out.

I see no issues in principle. But if it were me, I'd fab up some little "legs" so that the bottom steel ring was off the bottom of the bucket so standing water won't cause it ti rust. I'd also add a coupe of small water drain holes at the very bottom f the bucket.
Also I would use a Mopeka tank sensor to the bottom of the tank. They work great via blue tooth app on your phone.

Post up a picture when you have it built!

Good suggestions above.
I would vent bottom and not side so water intrusion is min and drainage max.
I carried a 5# propane tank on motorhome and adhered a split vinyl (sail boat shroud cover) around the bottom ring to prevent rust rings. The 5# is enough to last a month + if strictly grill use. I carry 1-2 1# bottles as back-up. You can buy caps to seal 1# bottles that reduce leak hazard, worth it especially for partially used bottles. A PC of large dia PVC pipe and a slip fit cap make a decent looking bottle storage container strapped to a stanchion or bridge ladder, etc

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I considered an aluminum or fiberglass tank, they were a little out of my budget.

The screw on lid has a rubber gasket and claims to be waterproof (the bucket is intended for restaurant food storage like pickles etc) so no water should get in.

I like the idea of the vent holes in the bottom as opposed to the sides, will look much better and allow better drainage.

Good idea on the gauge, Jay. Do you have the $70 "pro" model or the $40 plastic one?

The "locker" will live on the FB aft deck, closest opening to the cabin is about 15 feet away.

Greetings,
Mr. D. "...is that a special tank?" Yes. Aluminum, built to be mounted horizontally. We had two in our forward gas locker. Pricey but...ya gotta do what ya gotta do, sometimes.
1726679306975.jpeg

I didn't think most propane tanks could be stored on their side, is that a special tank?
As @RT Firefly noted, they are special and expensive. We had one in our last sailboat and it was great. It was able to fit into an aft locker on scoop stern.

However, it often confused whatever kid was working at the propane pump when they would see it. Also, with the requirements now with propane tanks aging out, it may be an issue for the older tanks. I am not sure if that however.

Our current boat has a fiberglass tank that I really like. When it has to be replaced, I may just start using a Blue Rhino tank and some moly swap it out yearly.

1. Consider an RV enclosure, on trailer tongue, looks nice
2. Lay down tanks are not that expensive. Plenty on forklifts, bought one 20 gal used aluminum 1/2 full $75. Check cert date before purchase !

Back
Top Bottom