Using solar mppt charge controller as a DC to DC charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Unicorn
Vessel Make
1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
thinking out of the box again, not sure it's always a good thing.

My main engine runs 32V system. i have a fairly substantial 12V system also. when the main is running I'd like to feed the 32-37V into the solar input of the solar charger and then feed my 12V system in order to charge it.

Am I way off?

I have no idea if it would work or not. All I understand is that my MPPT controller can take up to a 100v input and put out 30amps 12v nominal out the other end. I have no idea what magic happens inside its little blue box.

The other option would be to find a step down convert to take your 32v input and then send a 12v output to a 12v DC-DC charger.

It should work, as long as it is an MPPT controller and its voltage rating exceedes the alternator output.

David

What David said, both the maximum output voltage and amps must be below the max spec of the MPPT. It should then work. I cannot confirm.
That is same as not adding more panels to one controller than it can handle.
Do post your result as this may help others with more than a 12V system.

@Ted not sure. that is one question i have

@Ted not sure. that is one question i have
Victron makes a 24 VDC to 12 VDC battery charger (Orion), that has a maximum input of 35 VDC. It's offered in atleast 2 output amperages. Before reinventing the wheel, I would send Victron an email explaining that you want to use their product to charge a 12 VDC bank from a 32 VDC bank. I'm guessing this was part of their original design instead of limiting the input to 30 VDC.

Ted

If you know what the max output of the MPPT is then it's easy to estimate the input current. These things are very efficient switching converters and the power out = power in minus the small loss.

If you are 12 volts out and 36 volts in the input current will be about a third of the output current.

I checked into it a bit and it looks like the MPPT controller will limit the incoming amps according to its capacity.

my 32V system will produce up to 38 volts. i am not sure Victron will approve that.

If you are 12 volts out and 36 volts in the input current will be about a third of the output current.
this is exactly what i am trying to accomplish without frying the mppt controller

I don't see a problem then. With 100A into your 12 volt bank the draw from the 32 volt bank should be about 40 amps. Just don't connect both the solar panels and the 32 volt bank to the charger input at the same time.

I'm using an MPPT to trickle charge our 12v battery from our 48v battery. Works fine as I limit the amperage to the MPPT size. I'm not sure about connecting an alternator through it though - voltage wise should be fine, and amperage should be controllable by the MPPT. The two questions I would have is whether the alternator will degrade properly when the MPPT limits the amps, and secondly whether the alternator goes bang when the MPPT says "I've had enough" and stops charging.

Back
Top Bottom