Voltage regulator failure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Cruising back to our slip today I noticed the amp meter reading close to what my alternator is rated for(51a).
My USB plugs that also read voltage were at 17.5 volts. My DC2DC charger was reporting 17.5 volts feeding it.
I backed my RPMs down for the final 20 minutes to the slip and the voltage dropped to 17.

I immediately went to the engine room to check my batteries, they were not Hot and not showing any sign of distortion.

I am thinking it is a failed voltage regulator, does that sound plausible?

Shopping for a replacement regulator, how do I determine if I have a short keyhole style case?

Voltage Regulator 105-64, 8RG2010A, R7-1 For Motorola / Prestolite MR/8MR Series with Short Keyhole Case Style - 8010197​

Can anyone point me to a replacement regulator they have used, or an economical direct replacement alternator?
I have the original style Motorola MR2018K (51amp) alternator on my Ford Lehman.

Charlie, where did you find "Motorola MR2018K (51amp) alternator".
I wanted to see it but google cannot find MR2018K

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2523.jpeg
    IMG_2523.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7
Which wire would i disconnect to prevent my alternator from coming on? I am assuming it could be one of the wires coming off the oil pressure switch? I only need to move my boat from the slip to pumpout and back. Then from slip to haul out. I think I can get away with just running on the battery without the alternator to prevent any damage.
IMG_2528.jpeg
IMG_2528.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 4
Cannot say for sure but the wire colors are very confusing. I would guess if you disconnect the yellow and red that are on the alternator luggage you will not be sending any power from the alternator.

Cannot say for sure but the wire colors are very confusing. I would guess if you disconnect the yellow and red that are on the alternator luggage you will not be sending any power from the alternator.
I just don’t want to damage my alternator because I’m pretty sure it still works and that regulator fried allowing the full 50ish amp and 17.5 volts to discharge to my batteries.

The line from the pressure switch turns the alt on when pressure comes up.

Could this be your replacement?

Attachments

• 8RG2010a.jpg
    8RG2010a.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1
The line from the pressure switch turns the alt on when pressure comes up.

Could this be your replacement?
I have looked at that one may try ordering one, but my current voltage regulator seems to have more space on that backside because some of the guts of the alternator protrude out and kind of intrude into the space behind the regulator.

That is why I was trying to determine what the definition of a short keyhole alternator is.

At this point, why not go with an external reg? Just a thought, but not sure it could be done on that Alt.

At this point, why not go with an external reg? Just a thought, but not sure it could be done on that Alt.
That is still a possible solution, and may consider it but I need to do more research on the external regulators, I really am not familiar with them at all.

I think if I did that I would switch the alternator to charge my 100a lifepo bank at say 25 amps and use the 18 amp DC2DC charger for the start bank. Or maybe an ACR to charge my start batteries first then the house. I’ll have learn a bit more.

But ideally I’d like a direct replacement, that would be easiest right now.

You had questions about this alternator back in mid August, as shown here.

Any idea what the green wire that is shown projecting from the alternator at about the 9 o'clock position in the latest photos actually does? Why is it hanging out there?

My advice today is to remove the alternator and take it to an alternator repair shop. They will likely give you a quote to fix it within half an hour.

Your recall is good my friend.
Once I get hauled if I haven’t a replacement regulator or drop in alternator I will pull it off for a shop to bring it back and n shape or replacement.

That is the signal for the tachometer.

Just loosen the bolts and take the belt off. Then you can know for sure it cannot be further damaged. Assuming the belt only drives the alternator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom