Wifi Enabled Thermostats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceancrosser

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kristine
Vessel Make
DeFever 53 POC
I have searched the forum and the last reply or update was done in 2017 regarding wifi enabled thermostats.

We finally have a reliable wireless internet at our marina but my Micro Air Wifi enabled thermostats won't connect. They can find the wifi and seem to attempt to connect with the proper password, but then a get a fail message.

Since I am frustrated, I am thinking about junking them and finding a better newer solution AS LONG there is one out there.

Is anyone using wifi enabled thermostats on their boat. What brand/make or model? Happy?

Thanks,

Rusty
M/V Kristine
DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS

I have searched the forum and the last reply or update was done in 2017 regarding wifi enabled thermostats.

We finally have a reliable wireless internet at our marina but my Micro Air Wifi enabled thermostats won't connect. They can find the wifi and seem to attempt to connect with the proper password, but then a get a fail message.

Since I am frustrated, I am thinking about junking them and finding a better newer solution AS LONG there is one out there.

Is anyone using wifi enabled thermostats on their boat. What brand/make or model? Happy?

Thanks,

Rusty
M/V Kristine
DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS

Do you have a router on the boat? Or a local network? My experience with Wi-Fi thermostats has only been with my own router. I would imagine you may have trouble just hooking the thermostats to the marinas router. The thermostat may not have the range to reach the marinas outdoor Wi-Fi antenna.

I agree. There range is limited, there made to be installed in a house where the router or AP is close by.

I swear marina wifi has something that requires a reconnection on a regular basis. Our PC and laptops switch from one wifi to another when signal is lost. I have devices that worked perfect if they connect to the hotspot on the boat but drop off if a direct to marina setup is made.

My next problem is to overcome the multiple windows updates that eliminate the hotspot on reboot or freeze the laptop that is setup as hotspot.

My air conditioners have the fairly common IR remote controls. Each Switchbot minihub can impersonate one IR remote control, so I have two of them, one controller the forward HVAC unit and the other controls the aft unit.

I bought the kits with three temp/humidity sensors each, and then some extra sensors, and a couple of wifi outlets, and can now wifi control both of my HVAC units and a couple of outlets, as well as monitor the temperature in each and every room, compartment, and enclosure on the boat.

SwitchBot WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer 3 Pack with Hub Mini, IP65 Indoor Outdoor Thermometer Wireless, Humidity/Temperature/Dewpoint/VPD/Absolute Humidity Sensor with Smart Alerts, Works with Alexa https://a.co/d/dYcOZhL

Back
Top Bottom