Winterization - Antifreeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlombardo

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1998 Mainship 31 Sedan Bridge
With October quickly approaching, I am starting to gather all the necessary items to winterize my boat, which brings me to my question. I have had several conversations about antifreeze with several other boat owners on our dock. Last year I purchased three cases of the cheaper -50 degrees gallons from Tractor Supply at $2.50 a gallon. Now I am being told that I should not use that for my motors. That the $18 a gallon stuff has anti corrosive agents in it. Is this true? Is it worth the extra cost? Is there something that can be added to the cheaper stuff that would provide the same or better protection?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

John

Hmmm, three cases? How many gallons is that? It only takes two gallons to winterize my MH.

Also I think you are confusing engine antifreeze with the RVs potable water system antifreeze. The -50 F stuff is what you should use in your RV.

I use Valvoline coolant/antifreeze with some additives needed.
This stuff is formulated to protect your engine all year round as long as it is maintained to an adequate freezing temperature level.. I change it every 2 years.
Other good mfgrs. of coolant will have similar A/F.

I also use the cheap stuff to FLUSH the raw water side of things but never in the engine cooling system itself.
Going to cheap can have long term effects that you may not like.
My engine is pushing 40 yrs, and 7,000+ hours and has gotten the same treatment every 2 years.
And you should not have to change every year if you use a decent A/F.
JMO

I think you should clarify what you are trying to do. I am assuming that you have a boat with a heat exchanger inside, a closed loop cooling system? I am assuming you are winterizing the raw water side that has sea water coming into the boat, thru the heat exchangers (engine, oil and tranny coolers) and then back out to the ocean?
Will the boat be out of the water to winterize? Where are you located? I say this because the technique and your comfort zone might be a little different in the North as it is in the south with a mild potential for a hard freeze. There are several different types of AF on the market. The RV stuff (for fresh water systems) is environmentally friendly (propylene glycol), while the other is ethylene glycol. EG is toxic to water ways. Remember whatever product you might use might get discharged into the water in the spring.
Enjoy all of the responses. This will be a very active thread as there are MANY opinions on this.

Back
Top Bottom