Yachworld "saved search" function - really that useless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DDW

Guru
They have a facility that purports to send you an email when a boat matching your search criteria gets listed. What I get instead, is an email each day with a collection of boats which have no relationship whatever to my search criteria: nothing common in the name, category, length, or anything else. Huge included with small, sail and power mixed up - just useless. The same terms typed in on the site produces an entirely different result. And the "Contact Us" link has only a snail mail address. Someone needs to jerk these Jerks into the 21st century, or even the latter half of the 20th.

Greetings,
Mr. D. But, but...new and improved...

1723763974372.jpeg

Several years ago they ruined Yachtworld. It is a real PITA now to even do a search. Contacting them is also useless, I have tried several times and no response.

The search isn't what it used to be, but you can still more or less use it to find something. However the saved search summary that is sent on email seems to be a random selection of boats. Nothing to do with the search. When you click on the "show all results" button, it takes you to the page and gives you the same results as if you typed it in there, that is more or less correct. So I guess the emailed "summary" is just intended to be click bait. The World and I expect it to be the same as the view you get on the web page or a summary thereof, but it is just a random collection of boats.

Yes they need competition, however like the real estate MLS there are serious barriers to market entry.

Yes. They ruined the search functionality on the site. The other day I googled “yachtworld” and “Kadey Krogen 42” and that worked quite well.

The search function isn't what it used to be, but still returns more or less expected results. That isn't what I'm talking about. Hit the "Save Search" button and have it email you. You'll be amazed at what you get.

A trick with google is to do this:

"site:yachtworld.com kadey krogen 42"

Without the quotes. That will search only Yachtworld for those terms

Hehe, yeah, I get daily emails from YW about "boats that match my search", just hit the garbage can, don't even look. Because I'm not looking.

But they are still selling. Sell, sell, sell - money, money, money.

Oh yeah, once any business has your email...lifetime penalty, no parole.

You can always block them at the server.

I had expected the "boats that match my search" in the email to be the same ones produced when I go to the site. They are instead, a completely random collection of boats.

For example, this is what I got this morning. The search criteria was for manufacturer: American Tug, LOA: >37, <41. What I got was three sailboats (one in Croatia) and a Hatteras 48. Missed by a mile....

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 9.58.17 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom