79 Outer Reef 26 project update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliec

Hello all. Posting some pics of the progress I've made on Holly Lynn, the 79 Outer Reef 26 Trawler Tug I inadvertently bought last summer (long story :)). There's a long list of projects that are seemingly never ending (as everyone here knows!) but here are some of the highlights from before winter set in and some future plans. This year she will stay in the yard so I hope to get to as much of the future things as I can in 2024.

1. Engine completely rebuilt and runs like a top (transmission is slow to respond so pulling that out this summer)
2. Cabin sole removed a bunch of crazy tile and scraped and stripped the holly/teak veneer under it and then epoxied and varnished
3. Electrical, not great pics but have redone ALL the wiring and cleaned up the spaghetti - I bet I ripped out 100lbs worth of wire
4. Bilge pumps redone (and added a second)
5. Removed all the other plumbing in prep for new stuff to come in later once I figure out what I'm doing with interior (new sink right where the old galley was, or more likely ripping out the fixtures too and then doing new galley and head and so on).

This spring/summer I'm hoping what's next:
1. Bottom scraped/sanded and epoxy barrier coat and then new paint
2. Topsides general all the cleaning and varnishing and paint
3. Rear platform supports rebuilt and of course all. the. varnish
4. windows! (and maybe bigger windows)
5. transmission coming out and getting rebuilt
6. bow thruster (may not make it this year, stretch goal, but on this list even if it's next year)
7. many many interior projects - took off the interior wall veneer and ceiling so next up is either lightly reworking existing layout and updating fixtures and seating and such or redoing the fixtures - then the walls and ceiling painted or re-veneered

Attachments

• hl_eng_after.jpg
    hl_eng_after.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 29
  • hl_eng_before.jpg
    hl_eng_before.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 24
  • hl_lift1.jpg
    hl_lift1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 26
  • hl_panel_after.jpg
    hl_panel_after.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 27
  • hl_panel_before.jpg
    hl_panel_before.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 27
  • hl_yard.jpg
    hl_yard.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 32
  • hol_sole_after.jpg
    hol_sole_after.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 28
  • hol_sole_before.jpg
    hol_sole_before.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 25
  • hol_sole_mid.jpg
    hol_sole_mid.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 26
  • hol_sole_mid2.jpg
    hol_sole_mid2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 26
Holly Lynn is looking great. I love the progress you have made. Quite frankly this past year-plus has entailed system upgrades and replacements for me on my 1983 Schucker miniature trawler.

Pre-purchase a friend did a quick survey for me on an outer reef down in southwest Florida. They are nice boats. Congratulations! I look forward to seeing more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom