Arco Zeus External Regulators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsea

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kia Orana
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
Considering a couple of Arco Zeus regulators for our twin engine boat. They sure look good. Does anyone have any experience with these?

None, but I am equally curious. My only complaint is that they are considerably more expensive than the alternatives, and it’s unclear how much better they are, if at all.

They are pricy. I saw a comparison pricing of competitors. When all the “extras” included with the Zeus were added in, the pricing was closer.

They are pricy. I saw a comparison pricing of competitors. When all the “extras” included with the Zeus were added in, the pricing was closer.
Yes, I've heard that argument, and there is truth in it. That said, I don't need (or want) shunts for current sense, so I'm forced to buy something I don't need. And for Lithium batteries you don't need a battery temp sensor either.

That's actually another (perhaps the biggest) reason I haven't tried one yet. It requires that you connect and use the current shut. I'm told it won't work without it. My BMS does the current measuring in my system, and even combines the readings from each of the two BMSes, so I already have a good current reading. And where would I place a single shut with a two bank/bms battery system? And even if I had a place electrically, I'm not going to tear apart the wiring on my main bus bars and distribution cabinet. Stacks of 4/0 cable are not an easy thing to work with and redo. I don't see why they need it anyway. Nobody else does. And it's certainly not needed to correctly charge LFP batteries. They are great for lead, but who wants lead anymore? So I'll wait at least until they fix that issue.

Twistedtree,
What are you running for regulators?

I've had an opportunity to pay around with a Zeus but not installed with anything useful, and not on my own boat. I agree with @twistedtree that the install requirements around temps and shunts (multiple!) are a bit limiting, and I'm tired of paying for $1000 regulators that I test that end up having issues, so I'm waiting until things settle down a bit.

I will say that configuration and monitoring on the Zeus is heads and shoulders above Wakespeed or anything else. I've configured many, many Wakespeed regulators, and there is a special place in hell for the syntax that was chosen to manage that product. There are some rumors that they will get a Bluetooth option later this year, but I'm not convinced that will solve the root problem with Wakespeed around configuration and consistency.

If you absolutely need regulators now, have a complex dual engine setup, or are using LiFePO4 (or all of these) then I would probably lean towards the Zeus simply because of it's ease in configuration, realizing that you'd be adopting a newer product with an unproven track record. If you can wait, I would at least through this boating season to see how things fall out.

Thanks for everyone’s input! I’m going to wait and watch before proceeding with any changes.

Back
Top Bottom