Battery charger replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimonBryan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Monesk
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
Hi all.
My 15 year old Xantrax seems to have given up the ghost. Looking at a replacement to charge three banks, House 2*200ah AGM (Lion), Engine Optima Blue Top 100Ah AGM and Generator Optima Blue Top 100ah AGM.

Looked at the Enerdrive unit, very nice and have one if their DC/DC in my van and it is excellent...but pricey!
Any other suggestions?
Also thought of three separate 240v chargers, little bit cheaper plus some redundancy. Thoughts on that?

Cheers
Simon

Is there any value in having an inverter charger? If so I would suggest the Victron Multiplus to invert/charge the LiPo bank. It is in the $1300 range. Then perhaps one of the Victon small dual output (2 banks) chargers for the AGMs. I think they are around $250. There may be lower cost options but I don't think by much and these are very flexible and reliable devices. Check their ratings but usually the LiPo batteries can be charged at very high rates (100-200AH) but the AGMs can only handle more moderate charging currents (10-20 Amps?). Also they have different charging voltages. So I think you will need, if not require at least 2 chargers.

Is there any value in having an inverter charger? If so I would suggest the Victron Multiplus to invert/charge the LiPo bank. It is in the $1300 range. Then perhaps one of the Victon small dual output (2 banks) chargers for the AGMs. I think they are around $250. There may be lower cost options but I don't think by much and these are very flexible and reliable devices. Check their ratings but usually the LiPo batteries can be charged at very high rates (100-200AH) but the AGMs can only handle more moderate charging currents (10-20 Amps?). Also they have different charging voltages. So I think you will need, if not require at least 2 chargers.

Ahh sorry the Lion was the brand they are AGM

Looking at a replacement to charge three banks,

Any other suggestions?

Also thought of three separate 240v chargers, little bit cheaper plus some redundancy. Thoughts on that?

We've had decent luck with ProMariner 3-bank chargers. Current line is their ProNautic.

Might be useful to convert the house bank to an inverter/charger, if you have significant AC loads underway or at anchor.... That would often argue for a larger house bank...

-Chris

I've had great success with Dual Pro battery chargers over the last 25 years. Currently have 2 six amp double output units on the trawler charging my bow thruster batteries, and engine and generator batteries. They make single, double, and triple output units.

https://www.batterystuff.com/batter...-amp-marine-waterproof-smart-charger-rs3.html

https://www.batterystuff.com/batter...n-series-3-bank-on-board-charger-ss3auto.html

On my boat, I charge and maintain the engine and generator batteries with one of these, and have a bigger charger for the house bank as it can see larger house loads when I'm tied to a transient dock.

https://www.batterystuff.com/batter...bank-marine-waterproof-smart-charger-rs2.html

Ted

I do like the ProMariner ProNautic. Its has a amp and voltage digital read outs. Great for trouble shooting or just to see whats going on.

Great customer support too!

A charger/inverter is nice to have. I have certain loads running though it. Some times for something simple. Its not worth starting the genset. Push a button and you have 120V.

Back
Top Bottom