Finally identified fuel leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
After a lot of searching, wiping and strategic placement of absorbent diapers, I have finally traced my very slow leak to the fuel lift pump. Called mechanic and sent him pictures. Called Trans Atlantic Diesels and ordered the pump, gaskets and seals per mechanic's direction. This has been an ongoing search for the source of the fuel leak/drip.

There were no discharges as this has been a slow leak for quite some time and I lined the bilge with diapers and absorbent socks and monitored them judiciously (always do).

Why did you order the pump? Doesn't the new pump come with the gaskets and seals, or can't you just use the new gaskets and seals for the old pump?

I ordered the new pump in lieu of attempting to rebuild the 40 year old one as the new pump is $60 and figured why not. As for the new gaskets and seals....I followed my mechanic's instructions on what to order.

Definitely one of the less expensive items purchased! I did have my starter rebuilt instead of replacing.

I wish all my fuel leaks ended so happily. Sadly all of mine ended with a hole in the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom