Mainship 430 drain out helm door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All you 430 owners:

I have a slow drain on the starboard side right outside the helm door. The rear drain drains right below that drain, but where does the forward drain drain too? Can't seem to get enough water to notice any coming out. Tried to snake it and doesn't work.

Has anyone use a toilet plunger, or perhaps a shop vac to try to clear it. Tired of getting my feet wet.

Thx for the reponses.

Is this a deck drain? Have you tried putting a high pressure dock hose in it and blowing the clog out?

I've used both a plunger and a hose connected to dock water to clear that drain.

It’s been a while since I sold my 430 but I remember the side drain getting clogged with leaves. I had to use a plumber’s snake to slowly remove some leaves before finally getting hose water to flow through. It was a process!

I'll try the plunger, and a shop vac. But, if I knew where it drained, perhaps I could back flush. Using dock water down the drain does not work and suspect there's a clog down there.

Look at the outside of the starboard hull. You'll see two oval thru-hulls, one just about below the starboard door and the other about where the gate in the rail is. Those are connected to a channel on the inside of the hull and there are several things connected to the channel, including the two deck drains. I believe the vent for the forward water tank goes there too. When in the engine compartment look across the starboard transmission to the outer hull and you'll see the back end of the channel with several hoses going to it. Good luck if you ever have to get over there. I would try one of those plastic barbed tools that are used to clean hair out of drains and see if that will clear it.

Thanks Tim,

Tried the barbed drain weasel, no luck. I'm thinking of backflushing, but concerned with pressure being an issue for other things connected there.

Also, with the weasel, there seems to be a bendin the drain pipe down about 10 to 15 in and can't get past that. Will continue to work on it.

Larry

The way the drain hose connects to the channel I don't think you'll be able to back flush. I thought that drain went straight down into the channel. I'll have to look next time I'm at the boat. Our boat has a small hatch in the deck just inside the starboard door that I think the first owner added. You can see the top of the holding tank and the front part of the channel. I'll take a picture next time I'm there.

small hatch

picture of small hatch. Sorry wrong orientation.

Attachments

• small hatch.jpg
    small hatch.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom