Nordhavn 40 delamination?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
Looking at a Nordhavn 40 and surveyor noted a hollow sound around the heater exhaust port on the port side. He claimed it may be delaminatiion. To be clear: when standing on the port side dock looking at the heater exhaust port, one can tap the hull and all sounds solid but a 2-3" circle around the exhaust sounds much different. No visible signs of defect. Any thoughts and should this be a deal breaker?

Looking at a Nordhavn 40 and surveyor noted a hollow sound around the heater exhaust port on the port side. He claimed it may be delaminatiion. To be clear: when standing on the port side dock looking at the heater exhaust port, one can tap the hull and all sounds solid but a 2-3" circle around the exhaust sounds much different. No visible signs of defect. Any thoughts and should this be a deal breaker?

I recommend you immediately call Nordhavn and get their recommendation.

Exhaust clearance was my first thought until I discovered that area is not cored. I tried to access the area from the engine room but someone has installed a generator blocking access. I can squeeze in but not sure I could get back out. I may try to get in there again with fewer clothes on and a helper that could go for help if stuck. some day someone will design a boat with maintenance in mind. This boat had good access it it were not for a poorly placed generator.

I will also try to contact Nordhaven. Thanks

Also: I was thinking that if the void was designed for heat transfer it would be the same on all Nord 40's. I banged on a few others and they do not have that hollow sound. It is strange how even the hollow pocket is around the thru-hull.

Is it possible the heater installation wasn't factory? If it's not, it may have been done a bit differently than a factory install.

On hydronic heater installs it is quite common to have a “standoff” space with fire rated rings holding the pipes in place on both sides and often through the hull. There should also a heat resistant wrap from the heater to the point where the heater exhaust/intake pipe passes through the hull.

The surveyor should acquaint himself with how a heater install is properly set up. FRP products will not standup to the high temperature runs of boiler exhaust. No different from a chimney or dry stack install. That said, a discussion with the installer should settle or confirm all fears.

Even if you really have found a void around the heater exhaust, I wouldn't get to excited. It is too coincidental that the only void in the hull ended up surrounding an exhaust cut out. What ever is happening it was created by the installer and should be a fairly easy to fix, if a fix is even needed.

What surprises me is that you cannot view from the inside. Considering at some future point replacement may be needed. Cored hull carved out was my first thought until OP said not cored there.

Sounds like time to get naked and use a bottle of KY jelly to slide back in there…

Even if you really have found a void around the heater exhaust, I wouldn't get to excited. It is too coincidental that the only void in the hull ended up surrounding an exhaust cut out. What ever is happening it was created by the installer and should be a fairly easy to fix, if a fix is even needed.

Right. It is not a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom