Rigging Mast and Boom on GB32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HJ51

Hi everybody. New owner of a 1977 GB 32 here. Longtime sailor and first time trawler owner. Looking forward to interacting with all of you.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions but my first is regarding the mast and boom. The mast is installed and it came with a boom that has not been rigged and I'm not sure how to go about it. So actually two questions:

1. For the boom: what running rigging do I need for the installing the boom and can anyone direct me to a drawing or pictures that would show me how to do it.

2. Regarding the mast: the only standing rigging is a shroud on each side attached to the base of the stanchions at right angles. I am surprised there is no forward support (like a forestay on a sailboat mast). Isn't this mast and boom system supposed to capable of raising a dinghy? I can't imagine that would be possible without a forestay. If there is supposed to be one, where would it attach because there is no apparent attachment point on the floor of the flybridge.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome aboard. Sorry I can’t help on this issue.

The standard mast and boom on your 32 or our 36 is not set up to lift heavy weights. I have no idea what weight it was / is rated for. There is no forestay and as you mentioned the forward shrouds are not solidly anchored to the fly bridge. IMO It might be fine for a small empty dingy without an outboard. (100 lbs?) If I were to use the mast and boom regularly I would minimally beef up the anchoring for the forward shrouds. I think davits on the stern are a much better option. FWIW we tow our inflatable dingy astern with the 9.9 hp engine on the dingy. Works out fine.

The standard mast and boom on your 32 or our 36 is not set up to lift heavy weights. I have no idea what weight it was / is rated for. There is no forestay and as you mentioned the forward shrouds are not solidly anchored to the fly bridge. IMO It might be fine for a small empty dingy without an outboard. (100 lbs?) If I were to use the mast and boom regularly I would minimally beef up the anchoring for the forward shrouds. I think davits on the stern are a much better option. FWIW we tow our inflatable dingy astern with the 9.9 hp engine on the dingy. Works out fine.
Thanks, Carl. Any insight on how to rig the boom?

I've been holding off posting these because I suspect the later FG boats may be a bit different. But, here's how it's setup on my 1968 woody if it's at all helpful. As mentioned, I don't think it's up to the task of lifting a dinghy, we have weaver davits on the swim step for ours and it's very easy to deploy and use.

mast1.jpg

mast2.jpg

mast3.jpg

mast4.jpg

Thanks, Carl. Any insight on how to rig the boom?
There is a 4 to 1 block and tackle that runs from the mast head to the outer end of the boom. (2 pulleys with 2 shives on each pulley) Same thing from the outer end of the boom down and is connected to whatever you are lifting.
Pretty straight forward. You are handling two lines. One for each block and tackle. If you are serious about using the boom to lift heavy objects I would get all 4 shrouds anchored much more securely and add an electric winch on the boom capable of handling both block and tackles. Minimally the standard winch on the boom would be upgraded to a self tailing winch.
Forward part of the boom is secured to the mast via gooseneck.
Sorry I don’t have pictures as I have removed the boom and also away from the boat. Look around on this forum. I have seen pictures of different options in the past.

Last edited:
We use ours to lift the dingy bow up on to the swim grid - very unusual configuration but the PO set it up and it works so ... Anyway this is a GB 36 sedan so the mast and boom are pretty much identical to the mast and boom on your 32. Not at the boat so no pics. The boom is attached to the mast exactly as in the pic Grand Illusion posted. The mast is attached to the roof of the cabin with a very flimsy bracket. Would not want to rely on it to carry any weight in terms of keeping the mast vertical. We have two stays that are attached to the top of the mast and go to the base of the railing posts on the fly bridge. If you look closely at the last pic Grand Illusion posted you can see the stay attached to the base of the railing right beside the red box with the other end attached to a bronze ring at the top of the mast. Exactly what we have, but the mast is not hinged. Without those stays I would not want to use the boom to lift anything significant. The boom is rigged as described by Cigatoo

I've been holding off posting these because I suspect the later FG boats may be a bit different. But, here's how it's setup on my 1968 woody if it's at all helpful. As mentioned, I don't think it's up to the task of lifting a dinghy, we have weaver davits on the swim step for ours and it's very easy to deploy and use.

mast1.jpg

mast2.jpg

mast3.jpg

mast4.jpg
Hi everybody. New owner of a 1977 GB 32 here. Longtime sailor and first time trawler owner. Looking forward to interacting with all of you.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions but my first is regarding the mast and boom. The mast is installed and it came with a boom that has not been rigged and I'm not sure how to go about it. So actually two questions:

1. For the boom: what running rigging do I need for the installing the boom and can anyone direct me to a drawing or pictures that would show me how to do it.

2. Regarding the mast: the only standing rigging is a shroud on each side attached to the base of the stanchions at right angles. I am surprised there is no forward support (like a forestay on a sailboat mast). Isn't this mast and boom system supposed to capable of raising a dinghy? I can't imagine that would be possible without a forestay. If there is supposed to be one, where would it attach because there is no apparent attachment point on the floor of the flybridge.

Thanks in advance for any input.
I also have a 1968 32' GB Woodie. Very similar set up but I lift the the dinghy from a point about 1/3 of the way forward on the boom and I have a separate 2x4 with a yoke supporting the boom a few inches forward of that. I just lift the dinghy (with a 4 to 1 tackle) until it clears the swim platform and flops up against the transom.

Attachments

• 1562005353017.jpg
    1562005353017.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom