Big sailboat sunk by tornado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The builder also said it was unsinkable…
As attributed to Christine Keeler in The Profumo Affair "He would say that wouldn`t he?"

But as it lists more the righting moment of the keel keeps increasing and the "wronging" moment of the mast decreases. Well before 73 degrees the hull is going to direct airflow up and over the mast reducing its tilting force completely. Theoretically the boat should only lean until a sufficient portion of its mast is in the wind shadow of the hull to make the keel the dominant force.
The mast was 246 feet long. At a 73 degree list, the tip of the mast would be 72 feet above the base. Still plenty of windage at that angle.

Even with no windage, if 73 degrees is the point of negative stability (if that is the right term), that is the point at which the boat would roll over. So the keel would not right the boat after that point.

One report I read said that it may have been a microburst instead of tornado/straight line winds so wind angle guesses could all be way off.
The Italian Air Force confirmed that it was indeed a downburst/microburst.

Plus there were quite a few spreaders now at an an
The Italian Air Force confirmed that it was indeed a downburst/microburst.
Thanks...wonder if the US Military bases there can confirm that with second opinions or they just use the Italian weather sources.

My current hypothesis is that the Bayesian was taking on water before it heeled. When the microburst came it heeled 20 degrees, the loose water shifted and it never recovered afterwards. The reports that it heeled 20 degrees and then continued seem to indicate that. Something was wrong with the boat way earlier than we think.

Has there been any definitive answer on whether the two garage doors were open or closed prior to the storm? Between crew statements and reports from the divers, I would expect a definitive answer.

We may not know until the raise the vessel. I am surprised that decision has already been made. I would think with remotes and divers they could do a pretty thorough investigation without the expense of recovery. I did read that the cost of recovery is born by the owner, so maybe the authorities called for raising the wreck because they don't have to pay for it.
Does an insurance company do their own investigation or do they just wait for the official gov't investigation ? If the cause is determined to be a design flaw, would the insurance company reimburse the owner and then go after the builder, or just deny the claim and make the owner pursue the builder ?

I had read where they were concerned about pollution. So the concern is to get the oil/fuel out

At 160 feet, may just be easier to raise it. Lots of things to consider.

I was involved with the raising with a very expensive yacht off Cape May, NJ. It was a 100+ foot sportfisherman worth millions (gold plated plumbing fixtures, marble everything, and a big insurance policy reported as worth more than the yacht was).

They tried for months and weather kept hampering the efforts. We had to fly USCG inspectors out every time they thought it might be on the way up. It never really happened and the kevlar slings trying to raise it wound up sawing into the hull so all attempts were scratched. So some salvages go easy, some not so much.

According to a report that I saw the lady with the infant was on deck and a large wave took the infant out of her hands. But a couple of seconds later another wave brought the infant back to her and she was able to grab the infant and then kept the infant above the water until they got into the life raft.

According to a report that I saw the lady with the infant was on deck and a large wave took the infant out of her hands. But a couple of seconds later another wave brought the infant back to her and she was able to grab the infant and then kept the infant above the water until they got into the life raft.
Simply astounding!

Yes, maybe the one good thing to come out of the whole ordeal.

Poseidon was gracious. Gave the innocent infant back - :)

Very interesting to read the instructions to the master. They were entirely concerned with stability while under sail with almost no concern while at anchor. The only instruction of note was to have the engine room door closed while the stern garage was open.

Also, the keel was only required to be lowered for sailing.

Back
Top Bottom