Eco-worthy batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the ME-RC50 remote. It shows an LFP profile 13.8 bulk, then 14.4 absord, then a float (it says) as determined by BMS. Equalization though not used is set at 14.4.
It sounds like you did a custom setting to what my remote or my inverter already has available.
Bought inverter new this year, how old is yours? I did read that LFP was added within recent years, whereas your RC-L remote creates via the custom profile.

It was the bulk at 13.8 I was wondering about after reading that LFP should charge at 14.4, your observation that it starts at 13.9 and works up to 14.5, short absorb, then float with lower current.

Thanks

EcoWorthy Updagte?

Tiltrider1 - could you provide an update on your installation of the EcoWorthy L-16 size batteries. I'm just getting ready to replace my 4X AGM house batteries and was wondering how they are doing for you. Just checked the pricing and it looks like I can get them now for $1,995 for a set of four or a little more for the 280Ah version.

Also would like to know how your custom Magnum programming is working and if you have changed it since installation? And finally, what gauge/instrument are you using to track SOC?

Thanks - it looks like I can now maybe afford to go LI and your first-hand information would be much appreciated.

I installed the batteries at the end of the cruising season. All my operations have been dock to dock. Some trips have been with the generator on to run the heat pumps do to extreme cold. Some trips have been generator off.

So far the boat works the same with the LiFePo4 eco-worthy batteries as it did with the old FLA L-16 batteries. There was a power shut down on the dock for 4 hours while I was on the boat and all worked as expected.

I have not had the opportunity to spend significant time on the hook to truly test capacity.

I have not made any additional changes to the magnum inverter’s programming as all appears well.

I noticed the pricing continues to get better. The 280ah model is the same size as the 260ah that I purchased and effectively the same price.

At a bare minimum LFP battery you buy for marine use should at least have a BT BMS. The batteries should also have UL cert if your vessel is insured..

https://marinehowto.com/drop-in-lifepo4-be-an-educated-consumer/

All the LiFePo4 batteries I see for sale come with a BMS. What is important is that the BMS matches up to your charging capacity. You certainly don’t want a 260 Ah battery with a 50 Ah BMS connected to a 100 Ah charger.

On the other hand a 260 Ah battery with a 50 Ah BMS connected to a 40 Ah charger would work, assuming the charger was designed for LiFePo4.

In my case all of my battery chargers are programmable and could be programmed to work with LiFePo4.

As to UL ratings. UL still puts its mark on 30a shore cords but won’t certify a Smart Cord.

EcoWorthy...

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 48
BT BMS. BT=blue tooth. If that is correct why do you say should at least have BT? Since it is short range and a mounted display is as easy to look at. Why?

BT BMS. BT=blue tooth. If that is correct why do you say should at least have BT? Since it is short range and a mounted display is as easy to look at. Why?
If you have to ask You probably want to do some more reading..

Most insurance companies will want to see this communication as it is part of ABYC.

If you have to ask You probably want to do some more reading..

Most insurance companies will want to see this communication as it is part of ABYC.

OK, I do read a lot. Read your link and found your opinions on topic. No reference to ABYC and insurance there. Care to post a link?

My research this month proved to me that changing to LFP batteries is now cheaper than replacing my AGMs. For the same $$ you get roughly twice the usable Ahrs. Many existing inverters, like my Xantrex 3012s, can be programmed for LFP charging. Even my older Balmar 614 units can be custom programmed - the newer ones come with the program already in memory.
Check out the Epoch LFP batteries. For not much more $ you can get well designed features, bluetooth comms, Victron compatability and low temp / heating protection. Company based in GA.
No affiliation - just a fan of their products.

If you haven't read this article by Rod Collins - it is well worth the time spent before launching your LFP battery project. He is a member of the ABYC team that developed the 'new' Li battery standards.

OK, I do read a lot. Read your link and found your opinions on topic. No reference to ABYC and insurance there. Care to post a link?
E-13 image below. With no BMS that communicates to the outside world you have no clue a pack is about to disconnect.. With a BT BMS you have covered the "and/or visual part"

Attachments

• ABYC E-13  BMS shutdown.png
    ABYC E-13 BMS shutdown.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 15
My research this month proved to me that changing to LFP batteries is now cheaper than replacing my AGMs. For the same $$ you get roughly twice the usable Ahrs. Many existing inverters, like my Xantrex 3012s, can be programmed for LFP charging. Even my older Balmar 614 units can be custom programmed - the newer ones come with the program already in memory.
Check out the Epoch LFP batteries. For not much more $ you can get well designed features, bluetooth comms, Victron compatability and low temp / heating protection. Company based in GA.
No affiliation - just a fan of their products.

If you haven't read this article by Rod Collins - it is well worth the time spent before launching your LFP battery project. He is a member of the ABYC team that developed the 'new' Li battery standards.
LFP is considerably cheaper than AGM and is now less than flooded batts, if you can do basic math.

Example; there is no one on the planet that can capacity test a lead acid battery at 15 years old that can still exceed its rated Ah capacity rating. My LFP pack does..

I appreciate the link to the article. Having Bluetooth sounds like a very worth while feature. I believe if I was doing my project now that I would not consider any batteries that did not have Bluetooth capability.

Posting a picture of a battery that had a catastrophic failure with out any history is just fear mongering. Any battery can be abused and even FLA batteries can explode and start fires when grossly abused. With out the whole story the picture is meaningless.

After reading the article and noting all potential issues I find that the Ecoworthy batteries only fall short in the Bluetooth category. Yet, even the article states the failure of not having this information would result in swelled batteries and not in a fire.

The article also mentions to beware of Internet Trolls who spout doom and gloom from using a LiFePo4 battery. The article also states you can’t just drop in LiFePo4 batteries, that you must consider the whole system and make proper alterations.

After researching to my satisfaction I went with 8-Renogy 100Ah Smart LFP. The final reason for choice was they talk to each other and a monitor via ethernet cable. They are also pouch style, which I think will become norm.
So far we can cook three meals per day, plus watch TV, +++ for two days using inverted power. On purpose I let the SOC drop to 5% over 2.5 days approx and still showed 12.6V. These things are amazing.

Back
Top Bottom