GARMIN/NEMA 2000 TECHNICIAN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsymagic

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1996 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Any one can recommend a GARMIN installer/service in the Jacksonville Fl area?

Thanks

Most of the Garmin electronics I've purchased over the years are plug and play, meaning easy to install. Once you locate where you want to install your electronics find your power source to tap into. It you want to run cables for a sounder or radar start looking for the chases that were built into the boat for cables, wires, etc. I have a 1980 LRC and once I started looking around I was able to run all of my own wires and cables from the sounder, video cameras, radar, etc. It took a lot of time but was worth the effort. I learned a lot about my boat and was able to remove a bunch of cables and wires that were no longer needed. You might even be able to use an existing cable to pull a new one. If you can do this part of the project you will save yourself thousands of dollars. Once you have the infrastructure in place hire a Garmin proficient tech to finish the install if you are not comfortable plugging everything together. I am in the Cape Canaveral area. I would look as far south as St. Augustine for a qualified tech. Get references. A local West Marine will probably have dozens of business cards on its bulletin board. Ask the team members at the store who they recommend. Always ask members of the boating community you are part of. I would discourage you from going cheap and hiring the local "dock handyman" that doesn't have a real business. Make sure the tech you hire has liability insurance. Most marinas require vendors that work in their yards to have at least one million in liability coverage. Ask your local marina who is on their list and how much liability coverage the marina requires the vendor to have. If a tech has the insurance then the tech has enough business to pay the hefty premium. That is a good sign but not necessarily proof of competency. Get plenty of intel and become familiar with the system so you do not get overcharged. There is no such thing as a simple install but there are a lot of expensive ones that should not have been.

I’ve used Langer Krell since the ‘50s and they are honestly and excellent. Main office is in Miami but I know they have an office in Stuart/Ft Pierce that will probably service Jacksonville. They are a family owned business and take pride in their customer service.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom