Hi Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Roelandt

Hello,

I'm Tim, 48 from Belgium and considering a trawler as my to be fulltime liveaboard boat. Been a sailor with 30-40ft boats for 20+ years and was considering a catamaran for the coming phase in my life. But I think a trawler might suit my needs and wants better. Crewed a few times on a classic grand banks which was a great experience. Hoping to learn a lot here. Regards.

Hi Tim. Welcome aboard. Sounds like you might be wanting advice between a cantamaran and a trawler. If you are, it would be helpful to know what type of cruising you are planning on and where you plan to cruise. Also, are you going to liveaboard at the dock, or anchor out the majority of the time?

Hi Tim. Welcome aboard. Sounds like you might be wanting advice between a cantamaran and a trawler. If you are, it would be helpful to know what type of cruising you are planning on and where you plan to cruise. Also, are you going to liveaboard at the dock, or anchor out the majority of the time?
Hi Mac, no I made up my mind. For my purposes the trawler makes more sense and I will keep a 30 ft weekend sailor in the estuaries of southern netherlands for summer sailing. Been crewing on sailboats on the med (where I would keep the boat) for some years now and sailing there on a pretty tight schedule doesn't make sense. Take for example my last trip which was -according to the owner/captain one of the best sails in a long time (and it indeed was very enjoyable):
Left murcia for Ibiza in perfect condtions, flat seas beam reach 12-15knts. Amazing sailing. Wind dies in the evening and went over motorsailing to motoring. Had a great time in Ibiza/formentera motoring around (no favourable wind conditions). Skipped a dinner with friends because of favourable conditions to Barcelona. Wind dies so motored and trip took 22 hours an missed our watermaker pickup appointment. Went fueling and still had burned 120 litres of gasoline on a 200nm trip and some motoring in between. Sails of that 56ft boat are now 11 years old. Replacement next season is 30k... And so on and on... And if you compare the space and luxury of a 49ft trawler with this million dollar 56ft sailboat... It just doesn't add up. That is my point of view now 🙂

Thanks Tim. Great perspective! I think you confirmed why a lot of us went to the trawler in the first place. I like the idea of keeping your weekender too. Good luck on your trawler search. Keep us posted

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Yup. Good plan. Enjoy.

1718836539761.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom