Interior Wood Replacement...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
PO let leaks ruin wood veneer on wall underneath formally leaky ports. Finally getting to cosmetic repair. Need to sister in new veneer. Any advice as to sourcing, and installing? Thanks in advance.

Not sure of your location but World Panel Products are in Florida and North Carolina. I bought quite a bit of teak from them, both panels and lumber. I believe that they ship also.

I replaced some smaller bits of teak veneer on my former Grand Banks 42 and watched as a couple of very talented wood butchers built and veneered this bit of furniture for the boat. The key to the smooth expanse of veneer was a smooth plywood surface underneath. Once the veneer had been carefully measured and cut (with an Exacto knife as I recall), yellow contact cement from Home Depot was rolled onto both surfaces with a foam roller and given the requisite drying time before being carefully put together starting at one edge and working across with a dry roller.

CALYPSO lower sta helm for GB42.jpg

Thanks all. Understanding I need a smooth substrate to lay veneer on, I am leaning on goop to fill very uneven gaps in the substrate, but it seems messy and could go way wrong. Trying to not tear additional woodwork apart...

Thanks in advance.

If you have basic woodworking skills, along with a jigsaw, circular saw and maybe an oscillating tool, you can buy 1/4" teak, holly, or oak plywood and DIY. It's not too difficult and there are plenty of YouTube videos, personal websites and A LOT of folks on this forum that are more than willing to offer help and tips on your project.

Back
Top Bottom