New wifi system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martin J

Guru
Vessel Name
Artemis
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 67
I recently viewed a simple system a visitor had here in Tarpon Springs, basically a 5x3x1 inch black box. that allowed streaming and up to 12 devices. The guy was very happy. Cost was minimal. It had a $50 per month unlimited tie in to Tmobile I believe.

It was called ??? project or similar. I thought it had been developed by a school or college. Anyone any idea what is saw?
He gave it a high recommendation. Sadly I've lost the details.
My current system sucks and has always had poor performance since installation.

The system I saw is a newer company who had developed this cellular box, and tied to tmobile and one of the other carriers was joining them. He praised the system. I recognized it having come across it recently but cannot find my details. It was also priced right!

Lots of options

Martin-

When I get my new trawler in April I am installing a device that can setup a wired and wireless network on the boat. It's basically your own private router that can use either marina wi-fi, your cell phone tethered with USB or a celullar modem as your Internet connection. Would this help your situation?

Mike

<puts anal-retentive hat on>
It's not a wifi system. It's an Internet access system that delivers service to your devices over Wifi. Wifi means JUST the wireless local area network, NOTHING more; not DHCP, not NAT, not a router, not cellular data service, not any of that.
<takes anal-retentive hat off>
sorry about that. fingers just magically started typing.

Hi Mike. Over the last 17 years I've had numerous wifi set ups. the first 5 mile wifi worked exceptionally and went 3 miles no problem. I also had a wirie, again it performed exceptionally and would buy that again but sadly they went out of business. My current one, has never performed as advertised. And now seems to have died completely. I met a looper who came through Tarpon a month or two ago. I was impressed with the simple system which accessed the celluar system for $50 a month and would operate up to 12 units. He also confirmed no problem with streaming etc.

Wifi

Hi Martin,

I recently purchased a small router, it connects to either marina, Wi-Fi, cellular phone connected through USB cable, or USB cellular modem. I have only tested it in my house so far as my boat is currently stored for the winter. There is no limit to the number of devices theoretically. In fact, it has an ethernet connection so you can connect it to a super strong standard Wi-Fi router if desired the device cost about $150 if you would like more information please let me know.

I am at Trawlerfest in Stuart. If you’re here, let me know, please!

Mike

Hi Mike
Certainly, be interested in the details. Ill probably go with firewire in the interim today. there 's is 900gb of download + plug and play equipment for $109 a month incl. No contract, 14 day cancelation, If you exceed 900gb the speed goes down no extra charges.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom