Space between pilings and boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hip82

Newbie question: What would the minimum space you should allow between the boat and a piling, given that you would place a fender between the hull and the piling. Obviously you don't want the piling to come in contact with the hull, you want to adjust your lines for tidal change and wind, and need to allow for compression of the fender.

is 6 inches on either side adequate as a minimum? A foot?
My slip typically has a tidal range of 1 foot, is typically very sheltered from current and wind.

Do you have a rub rail on the boat?

While your tide may be only a foot during normal conditions, you should be prepared for greater changes based on moon phase and short term storm conditions like a frontal boundary passage.

If you don't have a rub rail, I would want more space. Keep in mind that lines stretch, so if your space is under a foot, you will need to check on the boat more often.

Ted

Do you have a rub rail on the boat?

While your tide may be only a foot during normal conditions, you should be prepared for greater changes based on moon phase and short term storm conditions like a frontal boundary passage.

If you don't have a rub rail, I would want more space. Keep in mind that lines stretch, so if your space is under a foot, you will need to check on the boat more often.

Ted
Thanks - Stupid question - is it ok for the rub rail to have repeated contact with a piling? Not hard, but rubbing. Is there like a rubber strip that you replace as needed?

Depends. Many boats have a stainless or bronze strips on the rail and it would probably be decades before replacing unless the pilings were made of concrete or it was a slip exposed to a lot of chop.

I had my 37 Sportfish in a small creek in Annapolis for 2 years in a slip that was only 4 inches wider than the boat. That left 2 inches between the hull and wooden pilings with a very small tidal range there and there were virtually no waves big enough to cause motion. Coming aboard caused more motion.

After 2 years, the was no apparent wear and any marks on the rail were not distinguishable from other marks made while docking in many other places.

When long term cruising we carried two fender boards. You put your fenders out . Then the board. Then the pilings rest on the board. This was especially helpful when we docked against commercial docks or concrete piers. Rather replace a board then fenders or be doing gelcoat repairs or replacing heavily scratched SS trim on a rub rail.

And if there is a rubber strip in the rub rail, it probably will get torn up if it's in frequent contact with the dock or pilings. A softer impact when it does contact, but it leaves marks. I like the metal ones.

This.

Our boat is side tied in our home slip in a long canal. It gets very little wave action, but the water level changes a lot and the boat moves around with it, even with fore and aft running springs. Tides, heavy rain and releases from Lake O all effect the water level to some degree. As such, I leave two fender boards, four feet long each, in place all the time, they really help a lot. I keep them centered over the pilings and use two 8" diameter fenders for each board.

Much more effective than trying to get a fender to stay in place against the pilings and I don't really care how much the boards get beaten up, they are sacrificial.
When long term cruising we carried two fender boards. You put your fenders out . Then the board. Then the pilings rest on the board. This was especially helpful when we docked against commercial docks or concrete piers. Rather replace a board then fenders or be doing gelcoat repairs or replacing heavily scratched SS trim on a rub rail.

Newbie question: What would the minimum space you should allow between the boat and a piling, given that you would place a fender between the hull and the piling. Obviously you don't want the piling to come in contact with the hull, you want to adjust your lines for tidal change and wind, and need to allow for compression of the fender.

is 6 inches on either side adequate as a minimum? A foot?
My slip typically has a tidal range of 1 foot, is typically very sheltered from current and wind.
I am a delivery captain, several times I have had to tie up to pilings, I bring an 8 foot 2x4, hang the fenders on the side of the boat, then hand the 2x4 on top of the fenders .... allows one to tie up to pilling's with no concerns

Depending on the length of your fender board you may consider end protectors that will prevent the fenders from sliding off the end and allowing the fender board to rub against the hull. I screwed these on the face of the fender board to use the full depth.Paul
1722289265501.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom