Twin Detroit Diesels 8.2 litre FWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polski

I'm not familiar with Detroit Diesels. Anyone care to comment good or bad? Things to watch out for? These twins are in the 1990 vintage with 2,000 hours.

Thanks

Detroit Diesel was renowned for the light weight powerful 2 stroke diesel that propelled much of WW2.

The 8.2 is a four stroke diesel. Its popularity was never that of the 2 stroke. Parts and support is much more limited than the 2 stroke models.

My opinion, it’s time to avoid out of production unsupported engines.

I'm not familiar with Detroit Diesels. Anyone care to comment good or bad? Things to watch out for? These twins are in the 1990 vintage with 2,000 hours.

Thanks

Search threads here for "8.2T"; lots of info and opinion available.

-Chris

Three years ago, I bought a1989 Ocean Alexander with twin DD 8.2, normally aspirated. They had about 3000 hours on them, and I've put about 1200 hours on them. I treat them VERY gently, running them between 1750 and 1800 rpm. I've had 0 problems with them and the oil analysis has always come back with nothing unusual noted. When I bought the boat, I had the same concerns as you. Another person on this forum acknowledged the concerns but advised me that if the engines surveyed well, not to let them stop me from buying a boat I otherwise would like to have. So far that's been good advice.

I'd suggest that you get a copy of: "Mid Size Power Boats: A Guide for Discriminating Buyers," by David H Pascoe. Chapter 9 covers most engines including the Detroits. Some see him as controversial, but he spent a lifetime surveying boats.

If you rebuild 2 cycle DDs with Speed of Air (dimpled) pistons, they are noticeably quieter. And get 20-25% better economy.

Back
Top Bottom