Starlink Mini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
Got the Starlink Mini yesterday and hooked it up on Puffin. The Wi-Fi router is built in, it operates on 12v and draws about 30 watts. Very simple to setup and connect. It is 11' x 10.5" and weighs a pound or two. For my usage it will be installed on the FB and plugged into a DC outlet when in use and stowed in a drawer when not needed.
Mini Deck 1.jpg
Mini Deck.jpg
Mini Screen.jpg

How does it mount to the surface? Can you show some detail from the underside?

And what about the plans? Are you happy with the cost?

• It comes with a kickstand bracket and also a bracket to mount on a pipe, I will take some more photos.
  • The plan is a $30 add on to my home service, now my total for both is $150 per month.
  • The price of admission seems a bit high at $599 for this system but I will be using it in multiple locations and it makes my wife happy.

The cost for those of us who use Starlink as our primary connectivity is $499 equipment + $30/mo for 50GB. I just paid $20 for 5GB with T-mobile for a prepaid hotspot to watch the Stanley cup final 2 games. I think its meant be portable so I'm not sure if there's more to do than a kick stand.

My understanding is that you must already have a home plan for $120 a month in order to get the $30 a month add on.

Good deal if you have a home plan. On the other hand it might justify dropping your home provider and switching to starlink at home if it’s costing you $150 on the boat anyway.

I have pretty much decided not to take the mini offer. The main reason is it would force me to replace the cable in my current boat and RV installation. On the boat since I already have the ethernet adapter, I will have to run a new power cable and new ethernet cable to the mast where the mini would be mounted. I wish they would have just gone with a straight POE connection and not a separate power cable.

Tom

I have Starlink Gen 3. Mounted flat on my pilot house roof. One can purchase a kit made of some plastic substance for the frame, and it has SS brackets holding it to the roof. About $100 depending on the quality (UV and color resistant) of the plastic. Installed flawlessly. Made by a company called Zephyr's Market.

I need to caulk the edge where it meets the roof, otherwise it is done. Being flat works just fine and is one less thing sticking up to snag something or person. The Starlink works flawlessly.

Attachments

• Starlink.JPG
    Starlink.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 26
My understanding is that you must already have a home plan for $120 a month in order to get the $30 a month add on.

Good deal if you have a home plan. On the other hand it might justify dropping your home provider and switching to starlink at home if it’s costing you $150 on the boat anyway.
That was my thought.....

Isn't the mobile RV plan $150/month? So you can get a home system for $120, the mobile for $30, and end up with both for the same price?

Isn't the mobile RV plan $150/month? So you can get a home system for $120, the mobile for $30, and end up with both for the same price?
Early reports were the Mini is throttled at 30 gb per month. Bob/OP - is that correct?

Peter

You go over that 50GB in a month and it's 1$ per GB overage fee per billing cycle. The Mini may be a good solution if you already have a residential account, and need an extra connection somewhere else - and it does have lower power draw than the regular antennas. Might be a good for on-board security camera, emails and lighter web surfing. If you want to watch 4K TV, you'll be spending more on excess data fees - so it'll all depend on how you use it. It is rumored that the pricing model might change once they roll out more satellites and increase capacity - not sure if that means it'll get any cheaper...

Looks like you can buy a mini and the Regional Mobile Plan now. This smaller size will be very beneficial for many boats. I suspect the mini will have slower speeds and higher latency but I doubt it will be a noticeable difference. Time will tell.

Has anyone used the Mini in the Bahamas with the $30 plan, or do you need to get a regional plan?

If you have a residential plan in place you can add a 50gbt mini plan for $30. Otherwise, you will need a Regional Roam plan.

The Regional data plan costs $150 per month and offers unlimited mobile data. Users, however, will need to pay extra for “ocean or in-motion use.”
So if you want to use it on a boat underway you'll need to pay more. I suspect the plans will all become the same soon...

I just installed a standard dishy with a 12v converter, it does use some juice, but the size of the dish isn't an issue as it's mounted up over the bimini.

Jack

So if you want to use it on a boat underway you'll need to pay more. I suspect the plans will all become the same soon...

I just installed a standard dishy with a 12v converter, it does use some juice, but the size of the dish isn't an issue as it's mounted up over the bimini.

Jack
Since I normally am running at 6-7 knots, I'm not sure that it would necessarily be flagged as being "in motion". The Mini may be an option I would consider. Being able to start and stop the service as desired would be a nice feature for the way I tend to use the boat. Also, there may be a way to be able to use it without having to use a "permanent" install.

I have never lost connection when traveling at 10kts or less while on Regional Mobile Plan. I did het booted off this week for traveling at 10Kts while still on the Residential Plan.

Now that I have left the dock for the summer I upgraded to the Regional Mobile Plan. I will go back to the Residential Plan in October when I am home for the winter.

I have never lost connection when traveling at 10kts or less while on Regional Mobile Plan. I did het booted off this week for traveling at 10Kts while still on the Residential Plan.

Now that I have left the dock for the summer I upgraded to the Regional Mobile Plan. I will go back to the Residential Plan in October when I am home for the winter.
That Mini with a Regional Mobile plan looks pretty good. It will be interesting to see how the Mini ends up working for folks. I could easily come up with a temp install that could be put up and removed as needed.

@tiltrider1
Are moving the dish physically to/from the boat when you change plans. I have considered doing that. Would get a second antenna so only the router needs to be moved.

I changed the jack on the Starlink cable to one of these. I have the female on Puffins FB and another on my Land Rover and have been moving it to whichever place it's needed.

Attachments

• DC Power Jack.png
    DC Power Jack.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 17
  • LR DC Plug.jpg
    LR DC Plug.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 17
I changed the jack on the Starlink cable to one of these. I have the female on Puffins FB and another on my Land Rover and have been moving it to whichever place it's needed.
I have a similar female in my aft cockpit that was for a 12v chest freezer. It would be very convenient to plug in and run the power up along rails to the boat deck rail to mount the dish. That looks like a great option.

I have a spare cable so if I wanted I could take my starlink for a walkabout and just leave the cable in place.

While completely adequate it’s a bit slower both on down load and upload than I normally see. Latency is also higher than normal. However, this is only one data point so we can’t say this is going to be the norm for the mini. Thanks for the data point.

I just ordered one. An issue I can see is that it apparently has small wires in the power cable, the wall wart supplied with it is 30V or so, that allows them to push enough watts through the cable. If you want to run it on 12V, there is too much loss. Right now it is pretty tough to find a replacement cable, can't get one from Starlink and there are few aftermarket choices (which have the watertight end and any specs at all). A couple on the Star Mount systems site don't eve say how long they are.

It draws 2.5a at 12v (measured) with the snow melt off. My run is about 6' and I have had no issues.

Back
Top Bottom