Transom Door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cargile

Vessel Name
Quasimodo
Vessel Make
Cargile Cutter
I am thinking of putting a door in the transom for the dogs, Admiral etc. W hat is the wisdom for having the door opening inward or outward? Mostly I have seen inward opening doors then today I saw a Mainship with an outward door. Thanks

I have a Mainship 34 mkiii and it opens out and it's fine. It really doesn't take away from the swim platform either. For us, opening out free's up the whole cockpit for chairs, coolers ,etc. If you have a large cockpit that probably wouldn't matter.

Be aware that cutting the transom may adversely affect the boat's structural integrity.
Most inboard powered boats have very little strain on the transom, so cutting a door is probably ok to do.
If you’re nervous about cutting it, consult an experienced professional glass guy, or even a NA.
You may need to add some structure along the sides of the door to carry the gunnel. (Think doorframe)
Pictures of the transom would help here.

The conventional wisdom ,at least for sportfisherman boats, is if you happen to take a wave over the transom and need to get rid of the water in a hurry, an outward opening door will easily open to clear the water.
I would definitely be sure of the structural integrity of the cockpit before cutting a chunk out of it. There's no way I would've cut a door in our Mainship 34 classic, due to the needed support of the bridge deck above,

You can do it. Just make sure that you adequately support the cutout area, with lots of plywood, fiberglass and epoxy resin.

Transom

Attachments

• Swim Platform Mounted.JPG
    Swim Platform Mounted.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Transom - Gunnel.jpeg
    Transom - Gunnel.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Toby on theswim platform 1.jpeg
    Toby on theswim platform 1.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts