Winterizing in Portland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
49' Kha Shing Europa
Hi All,
I'll be moving my boat to Portland, Oregon early October to a covered slip (PacMar) on the Columbia River. I was wondering if any of you have experience over the winter there and what systems you found necessary to winterize?
Your advice is always appreciated!
Taras

What boat do you have to move to Portland? I see you are listed as currently boatless.

I am at St Helens. I have fully winterized one year in the last 5. It was based on a forecast of several days in the teens. Normally I just drain the seawater wash down system. I do the wash down hoses separately since they don’t drain when disconnected. We do run a couple small round west marine heaters and a small dehumidifier during the winter.

We had a SeaRay 400 express there for 3 years. Kept low heat on in cabin and engine space ( no way to call it a room). First year outside, second under cover was really cold as the roof didn't allow solar gain and it was always river temp under cover. Third year back outside. The boat did fine but we did close through hulls as a precaution and drained strainers to heat exchanger.
Hollywood

To me the answer to your question is simple: all systems, that you don't want to have to replace, need to be winterized.

You might have a mild winter but then again it could be the winter of all winters with historic lows. When we were in FL I did the same winterization that I did in Ontario. FL could have a snap cold go through with freezing. Why run the risk for the cost of winterization.

I have a sheet i could send you if interested. PM me with your email.

Hi All,
I'll be moving my boat to Portland, Oregon early October to a covered slip (PacMar) on the Columbia River. I was wondering if any of you have experience over the winter there and what systems you found necessary to winterize?
Your advice is always appreciated!
Taras
In 36 years, and 3 generations prior to me, of commercial fishing out of Westport, WA. I have never winterized our vessels other than to disconnect fresh water hoses from the deck during hard freezes. We do run block heaters, cabin heat and dehumidifiers essentially year round. I do the same with my Hatteras 65’ LRC wherever it’s at in Western WA, and SE Alaska. Never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom