Simrad AP with Furuno plotter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Laurnen

Vessel Name
Freedom
Vessel Make
Albin 31 TE 2004
I have a Furuno TZT2 12 MFD with networked Furuno VHF, Radar, Satellite compass. I am pleased with the performance of this system AND Furuno’s outstanding customer service. I now want I add an AP, but the Furuno system is back ordered until late 8/24, too late for use this season. I have heard good things about Simrad’s newer AP, and it is available. It sounds like the Simrad AP should play nice with the otherwise Furuno system. Is there a compelling reason to wait for the Furuno AP availability, to keep it all with a single manufacturer? Has anyone had experience with either, or both, the Furuno and Simrad APs? Both are purportedly good products, does anyone have strong preference for one over the other? Thank you for your recommendations. I can wait if warranted, otherwise I will break tradition and go with Simrad.

What simrad AP are you looking at? There are several and they have various connection options. I am running a furuno/timezero system with a simrad ap70 and have been quite happy with the setup.

Thanks for your reply blowing. I plan to add the Simrad AP44 controller pack (controller, pump, rudder indicator, module) to my TZT2 12 and networked SCX20 satellite compass and DDF sounder. As I understand it, the only thing I will be sacrificing is being able to control the AP through the Furuno MFD. if the Furuno 711 were available, I would probably stick with it for system continuity. However, the Simrad system has some unique features I think I will appreciate … the ability to follow a depth contour, and the “S” curve pattern vs the zig-zag alone, will be useful for trolling. My distributor said he has not seen any inter-compatibility issues and I’m glad to hear the same from you! He personally prefers the Simrad over the Furuno as he has seen a few issues with Furuno’s adaptive learning and feels the Simrad is more predictable and reliable. Do you know if the Simrad follows a depth based upon a charted contour line, or actual active sounder reading? Does the Simrad computer module just hook into the NEMA 2K backbone? As I understand it, the Furuno 711 requires stripping and connecting of many individual wires. Thanks again.

From what I can see the nac-2 computer that comes with the ap44 packs doesn't have any nmea0183 input or output. This means you're going to have to be hooking it up to your n2k network. Which is fine since your scx20 only connects via n2k as well.

I think the adaptive stuff isn't that important. I'd always focus on manually tuning the AP. It helps really get things dialed in when the computer isnt trying to do it on its own.

How big is the boat you're putting this on? I know a few guys with larger boats 50-60ft that have had some issues with the furuno 711s performance.

A much smaller boat, 31’ Albin. I’m quite inept electronically, I hope the manual tinning is not overly complex. Is it possible to program a route, or just point to point if not using a Simrad MFD? The route capability would be way above my needs.

You can create routes on the TZ and have the Simrad AP follow them. You shouldn't have any issues between the two brands. I have used a variety of combinations of APs and chart plotters and never had any interfacing issues. That said, I don't have experience with the NAC-2, only the older AC12 and AC24, and now the AP70/AC80.

As for following depth contour, those contour lines that you see on the chart are not visible to the AP. In fact, nothing on the chart is visible to the AP, so all it can do is attempt to maintain the active depth reading, which of course means that depth needs to be on your N2K network for the AP to act on it. But it should be, so unlikely to be a problem.

Thank you twistedtree. I appreciate your, and bkcorwin’s, responses.

Hello, I sail with the Simrad AP 60 (no longer available but is the same software as an AP 70) / AC 80, great stuff.

What is also very important, what kind of compass is linked to it?

I connected the HS 70 to the system which is a perfect combination.

The faster and more accurate the compass, the better the autopilot performs.

regards

Pascal.

Compass is satellite based (6 axis) Furuno SCX20. This seems to be remarkably accurate when Radar is overlayed upon the chart plotter.

I have a Furuno TZT2 12 MFD with networked Furuno VHF, Radar, Satellite compass. I am pleased with the performance of this system AND Furuno’s outstanding customer service. I now want I add an AP, but the Furuno system is back ordered until late 8/24, too late for use this season. I have heard good things about Simrad’s newer AP, and it is available. It sounds like the Simrad AP should play nice with the otherwise Furuno system. Is there a compelling reason to wait for the Furuno AP availability, to keep it all with a single manufacturer? Has anyone had experience with either, or both, the Furuno and Simrad APs? Both are purportedly good products, does anyone have strong preference for one over the other? Thank you for your recommendations. I can wait if warranted, otherwise I will break tradition and go with Simrad.
It's been quite a few years but recall Simrad's AP line was acquired when they purchased Robertson. Furuno's AP line were originally rebranded Simrad/Robertson for quite some time. Simrad and Furuno share the same roots.

Compass is satellite based (6 axis) Furuno SCX20. This seems to be remarkably accurate when Radar is overlayed upon the chart plotter.
Hey Mark,

A little late to this but I have a Furuno boat with a Simrad AP20 and a Furuno 711C. I have the systems such that I can change the pump with a switch and chose the source of control with another switch. My concern has been losing the AP while on passage and needing to replace a pump or controller. Key point is that both work fine with the Furuno MFD. Another important point with the Furuno AP and a SCX20 is the ease of setup. Once the AP is installed and the dockside info is entered the AP is ready to use without a seatrial. No circles or figure eights at a set speed or direction. Our installation was simple and works so well that it is hard to think about returning to the Simrad. Granted, our Simrad is old and obsolete but still works. Turns with the Furuno are so precise with no under or oversteering. I believe this all due to the SCX20. I would wait to get the Furuno. Perhaps there is one out there somewhere. Good luck! Jim

Thank you for your response Jim. It is much appreciated.

As many others have mentioned, combining the Simrad autopilot with your existing Furuno won't be a big issue. I actually have been recommending the Simrad line for the last few years due to the lack of a NMEA 2000 option from Furuno for larger boats. The 711C is a great autopilot, but having to run proprietary cables versus leveraging existing NMEA 2000 is super annoying.

As many others have mentioned, combining the Simrad autopilot with your existing Furuno won't be a big issue. I actually have been recommending the Simrad line for the last few years due to the lack of a NMEA 2000 option from Furuno for larger boats. The 711C is a great autopilot, but having to run proprietary cables versus leveraging existing NMEA 2000 is super annoying.
I'm a bit confused. The Furuno Navpilot supports N2K, and all nav data can run across it. Are you talking about the dedicated canbus that Furuno uses between the computer and the displays? I'm guessing so since simrad just connects all that stuff to the main N2K network where Furuno does keep the inter-AP coms on a dedicated canbus. I think I answered my own question..... Just want to be sure people don't think that the Furuno pilot doesn't support N2K for connecting to sensors, chart plotters, etc.

I'm a bit confused. The Furuno Navpilot supports N2K, and all nav data can run across it. Are you talking about the dedicated canbus that Furuno uses between the computer and the displays? I'm guessing so since simrad just connects all that stuff to the main N2K network where Furuno does keep the inter-AP coms on a dedicated canbus. I think I answered my own question..... Just want to be sure people don't think that the Furuno pilot doesn't support N2K for connecting to sensors, chart plotters, etc.
Yes I’m specifically talking about the cabling to the displays. Not being able to leverage an existing bus and just drop them on it is annoying. The main computer itself as you note supports NMEA 2000 which is great.

I certainly agree with you there Steve! I was tempted to relocate the box of the DDF-3 sounder until I realized how onerous it would be to disconnect and reconnect it. One unique Simrad option that I think I will really use is following a set depth when trolling down riggers. Thank you for your response.

Back
Top Bottom