Interest in cruising the rest of Alaska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Want to cruise beyond SE Alaska?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just finished reading "Exploring the Eastern Gulf of Alaska", by Don and Reanne Hemingway-Douglas. As with all of their books this was a great read, not only for the detailed local knowledge but also the historical sidebars and personal stories mixed in.

https://www.waggonerguidebooks.com/store/p328/expeastgulfAlaska.html

On the shortcut to Cordova, they recommend only doing it if you can follow a local fisherman that is in a boat with a draft greater than yours!

If we make this trip someday I would really want to stop and explore a couple of the anchorages along the way, especially Lituya Bay, Cape Fairweather, and perhaps Icy Bay.

So it would seem based on discussion is weather and range being the 2 most important factors.

It would also appear the easiest route would be from Elfin Cove to Yakutat, pass Kayak Island and into PWS via Hinchinbrook Entrance.

Is it safe to travel outside of Kayak Island or is there a passage behind it? I have also heard of the shortcut into Cordova?

The passage inside Kayak Island is foul, I did it once with my brother on the bow looking for rocks on a sheet glass water day. My other passage was at night and we went around the outside. Of interest there is that your GPS position doesn't correspond with the charts, so even if you pick a clear line of travel on your electronic charts you may not actually be on it.

This is actually irregularly common in South Central Alaskan waters and unless navigating open water you can't trust your actual position to be on the charted one. Sometimes in anchorages you may appear to be sitting on dry land, and the entrances to bays may be well offset showing you come in over land.

Once you have navigated to a place, the tracking lines are dead on and you will know whether the chart can be trusted for that place.

This is actually irregularly common in South Central Alaskan waters and unless navigating open water you can't trust your actual position to be on the charted one. Sometimes in anchorages you may appear to be sitting on dry land, and the entrances to bays may be well offset showing you come in over land.

It's well worth checking the source data reference that's part of the charts. Some are ancient from Captain Cook, and others are quite good having been resurveyed after the big quake. You just want to know which you are looking at at any given time.

Most of these areas have not been surveyed since the 1964 earthquake and the paper charts have a disclaimer printed on them noting that. For the most part only commercial traffic areas have been surveyed to update the charts.

I believe the original surveys were done using Loran, which I believe also becomes less accurate the further it is from the towers. That outer coast is a vast expanse of emptiness...

Similar in the Aleutians, the blank bottom depths note on the chart “use caution uncharted waters”

Sea of Cortez is off by two miles on longitude except for harbor approaches.

Sextant and DR mapping from the 1800's in remote areas does not guarantee GPS acuracy.

All part of the fun...:)

Last edited:
I just finished reading "Exploring the Eastern Gulf of Alaska", by Don and Reanne Hemingway-Douglas. As with all of their books this was a great read, not only for the detailed local knowledge but also the historical sidebars and personal stories mixed in.

https://www.waggonerguidebooks.com/store/p328/expeastgulfAlaska.html

On the shortcut to Cordova, they recommend only doing it if you can follow a local fisherman that is in a boat with a draft greater than yours!

If we make this trip someday I would really want to stop and explore a couple of the anchorages along the way, especially Lituya Bay, Cape Fairweather, and perhaps Icy Bay.

Thank you for the reference. I ordered one copy from Amazon as Waggoners would not ship to Canada (seriously?)

-evan

The admiral and I have been blessed to be able to explore Prince William Sound for the past 33 years. Here is a video she put together in 2019. This boat made the trip from Vancouver to Seward in 2000 by the second owner.

Nice video!

Next summer we’ll be up your way a bit more since it’s the “off” year for the commercial shrimpers.

Perhaps we’ll share a cold brew?

It's amazing how the down view changes the way places look! There weren't very many places I recognized, and I am positive I have been in many of those places. I am seldom out there while the snow is low on the hills, I don't usually make it around until almost July, lots to do in the Fjords between Seward and Homer that slows me down. Beautiful footage!

I had to think about that for minute....yes the Date line is jogged to keep it in the same time zone. The entire state is on one time zone. It can get weird the farther west you go.

Remnant of a past age, a phone booth in Dutch Harbor, all the glass busted out by homesick drunken fishermen. The fawna is typical for summer.

View attachment 111585

We used to hide our weed under some rocks near a phone booth in Dutch. didn't want the skipper to find it, it was always there when we came back for offload. Ahhh the days of misspent youth :angel:

I ordered a copy of Lethcoe's "Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" and it arrived! It looks to be an excellent resource and I'm glad to see copies are available again.

I'm getting excited looking through the Lethcoe guide. The hiking opportunities immediately stood out. It looks like there are good hikes accessible from many anchorages, which will be a welcome change from BC and SEAK where it's rare to be able to get beyond the beach.

Insurance does seem to be a bit more challenging beyond Southeast Alaska. I'm filling out an "Extended Navigation Questionnaire" and apparently my insurer (Chubb) requires their insured to "navigate along the coast of the Gulf of Alaska. Chubb will not approve crossing the Gulf of Alaska." The route between Cape Spencer and Hinchinbrook Entrance is only about 50nm offshore, so hopefully that qualifies. We certainly wouldn't mind exploring Lituya Bay, Yakutat, and Icy Bay if the weather makes that possible (or necessary), so running even closer to the coast isn't a big deal.

I ordered a copy of Lethcoe's "Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" and it arrived! It looks to be an excellent resource and I'm glad to see copies are available again.

I'm getting excited looking through the Lethcoe guide. The hiking opportunities immediately stood out. It looks like there are good hikes accessible from many anchorages, which will be a welcome change from BC and SEAK where it's rare to be able to get beyond the beach.

Insurance does seem to be a bit more challenging beyond Southeast Alaska. I'm filling out an "Extended Navigation Questionnaire" and apparently my insurer (Chubb) requires their insured to "navigate along the coast of the Gulf of Alaska. Chubb will not approve crossing the Gulf of Alaska." The route between Cape Spencer and Hinchinbrook Entrance is only about 50nm offshore, so hopefully that qualifies. We certainly wouldn't mind exploring Lituya Bay, Yakutat, and Icy Bay if the weather makes that possible (or necessary), so running even closer to the coast isn't a big deal.

Did you order through Prince William Sound Books?

Waggoner’s partner for Canadian distribution is Chyna Sea, located in British Columbia. They are on the web. Cheaper than international mailing/shipping!

Waggoner’s partner for Canadian distribution is Chyna Sea, located in British Columbia. They are on the web. Cheaper than international mailing/shipping!

It doesn't look like Fine Edge has anything useful for the area beyond Southeast Alaska. Am I missing something?

We just got back to SEAK after a wonderful trip to Prince William Sound. Our only regret is not having more time (we spent a little less than three weeks in Prince William Sound). Our good experience was strongly influenced by favorable weather--both crossings were pretty benign (mostly light winds, no winds over 15 knots, seas mostly ~3 feet at 9 seconds), and we had many days of sunshine in Prince William Sound.

We stopped in Lituya Bay on both crossings, though we didn't spend the night on the second visit. We entered and exited on various stages of the flood, up to about 3 knots of current, and found the entrance intimidating but easy and exactly as charted. We really enjoyed our visits!

We would have liked to have stopped in Yakutat and Icy Bay, but the weather was good, the crew rested, and the boat performing well, so we skipped them.

All the anchorages we visited in Prince William Sound were awesome. Maybe we chose well, but a far higher percentage of anchorages were spectacular rather than merely beautiful in Prince William Sound compared to SEAK. It was like we were in Tracy Arm, Cannery Cove, and Red Bluff Bay all the time. We think the density of spectacular places is higher in PWS than in SEAK. There certainly are a lot more glaciers around and they're much easier to visit (closer to anchorages and towns).

Wildlife viewing was good, too. We saw fewer whales than in SEAK, but more sea otters, porpoises, and bears. The salmon were an unexpected highlight. We aren't fishermen, but watching them school and spawn was wild. In one anchorage, we literally couldn't get the dinghy on plane without macerating salmon with the outboard.

We saw very few larger cruising boats, but tons of 20-30 foot fast pilothouse boats based in Prince William Sound. Lots of friendly locals, too!

On the crossings, we saw hardly any other boats. Four or five on the way to PWS, and just one on the way back. The Gulf of Alaska is a lonely place and watch standing was boring (thankfully!). In clear weather, the views of the Fairweather Range are incredible, even 40nm offshore. Icy Bay, in particular, looks incredibly beautiful. We want to go back and spend some time there.

Predictwind Pro and Iridium Go were awesome for weather, particularly the weather routing and departure planning functions, which allowed us to select weather windows with less than 1 meter seas and winds under 15 knots. The ECMWF model was quite accurate several days out.

This was my wife's first time offshore and running overnight. She doesn't care for ocean swells and questioned whether the trip across the Gulf of Alaska would be worth it. After going, she wants to go back and go further. We could have spent a lot more time in Prince William Sound (we didn't see all the tidewater glaciers, for instance). Kenai Fjords and Kodiak are tempting next steps.

Thanks for the great write-up, which may stimulate some of us on the fence to make the trip to PWS.

Great summary, thanks. I’m curious if you had any insurance conversations or implications for crossing the gulf to get to PWS.

Great summary, thanks. I’m curious if you had any insurance conversations or implications for crossing the gulf to get to PWS.

Yes. My policy (Chubb) ends at Cape Spencer. My agent (Boat Insurance in Seattle) had me fill out a form with info about the boat, crew, route, etc. Chubb agreed to extend coverage to Prince William Sound, but tripled the deductible and charged an additional $750 premium.

Thank you for the detailed and informative post.

I sure wish I had known about your trip last night. We were docked just behind you in Hoonah! We would have loved to chat.

Last edited:
I’v boated the entire state of Ak.. PWS is a very special combo of all the things in you’re great description. It’s the brass ring really.

Last edited:
Glad you had a great trip.

I looked for you in Seward and when in PWS and didn't see you unfortunately.

Prince William Sound is a wonderful place. We have spent a boating lifetime there and enjoyed every trip!

Awesome trip. A summer of cruising PWS would be the best. I went to school in Seward, my job the summer I graduated was on a boat in PWS taking scientists to remote salmon spawning streams so they could count fish. Went into some nice remote anchorages. Had other jobs on vessels in Alaska but always looked forward to the sound and can't wait to get back.

Back
Top Bottom