release the nautical masses from nautical terms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Charlesamilton and JWellington
I saw the following write up by Ted in another discussion thread and wondered how those that have been adamantly trashing use of nautical terminology would go about explaining this to your crew without using any if the nautical terms Ted has used so well in conveying the procedure clearly?
Really... please take a stab at translating it to your non-nautical language to prove the others wrong!

"So there is 2 of you. :confused: Try doing it solo all the time.

I put a line through the starboard bow hause pipe on the cleat and bring it back to near my starboard pilothouse door. I bring the boat upwind to the mooring, to the point where the bow rail joins the railing for the pilothouse, and stop the boat.

If the mooring has a painter with an eye, I catch the eye with a boat hook, shove the end of the line through the eye, quickly walk the line up to the bow hauser, pull the slack out of the line through the hauser and cleat it off.

The moorings with only a ring on top are tougher. I double the line over the end of the boat hook, shove it through the ring, pull the boat hook back out, and catch the loop to carry forward.

It's like docking, it takes practice to get good at it. If you're not going to practice, plan on anchoring out. Next time you're in an area with a mooring field somewhat empty, call the harbor master and ask him for permission to practice. It's a skill that's not difficult to learn when you practice without having to worry about other boats in close proximity. You will be surprised how quickly you pick up the skill. Having a hook handler to guide you close and tell you when to stop, just makes it that much easier."

Ted

Last edited:
Just had a huge discussion about all this with the admiral and when done she said that after she visits the batroom at the back of the boat, she'll grab me a beer from the kitchen.

Just had a huge discussion about all this with the admiral and when done she said that after she visits the batroom at the back of the boat, she'll grab me a beer from the kitchen.

Admiral or wife? lol

I started this thread and being the true lubber that I am, can still after a 3 week absence, laugh at how serious you all are! I take life on with a smile on my face and consider myself a true smart ass and cynic. The original threads purpose was to have you holier than thou salty dogs take a look at your "club" and maybe,just maybe, Lighten up a bit. I understand tradition, I understand the need for safety and the terms that are needed for an emergency situation, but I also see the need in the boating community for a little loosening of the rectal area, but then again I guess I am just a landlubber and consider myself a "jackass rig" uh oh I used one of those most important nautical terms,sorry

I started this thread and being the true lubber that I am, can still after a 3 week absence, laugh at how serious you all are! I take life on with a smile on my face and consider myself a true smart ass and cynic. The original threads purpose was to have you holier than thou salty dogs take a look at your "club" and maybe,just maybe, Lighten up a bit. I understand tradition, I understand the need for safety and the terms that are needed for an emergency situation, but I also see the need in the boating community for a little loosening of the rectal area, but then again I guess I am just a landlubber and consider myself a "jackass rig" uh oh I used one of those most important nautical terms,sorry

This post really says it all...except for the holier than thou comment.

All you had to do is look in the mirror and not "troll" a rediculous thread on a boating forum that does have lots of "salty dogs" on it which for many is an endearing term but maybe not for wannabes.

Last edited:
I don't know where Charles does his boating and what bad experiences he's had, but I've known plenty of "salty dogs" but never thought any of them were holier than thou. My uncle was an oysterman and capt of a good sized boat when I was growing up. A quiet, kind, and humble man. As salty as they come, but completely the opposite of holier than thou.

Does that mean you can't do it?
Maybe start with baby steps...
How would you describe a mooring?

good lord, the point is dont take yourself so serious, amazing, point made

Any professional mariner, of which I am one will no doubt point out the necessity of being succinct when giving directions or commands, hence the need for more descriptive terms than just "right", "left" or "rope". Right or left are only useful as a rudder command and rope is line that has yet to be given a specific job like dockline, springline or anchor rode. There are numerous examples that I won't bore folks with now but with time and experience most terms will show their importance. There is also some of us that love the traditions and arcane language of going to sea.

I don't know where Charles does his boating and what bad experiences he's had, but I've known plenty of "salty dogs" but never thought any of them were holier than thou. My uncle was an oysterman and capt of a good sized boat when I was growing up. A quiet, kind, and humble man. As salty as they come, but completely the opposite of holier than thou.

:thumb:

If you ARE a salty dog, no need to flaunt it..... but the more time you use the salty vocabulary at sea on vessels,, makes it all that more natural to use it all the time.

Sure people may not understand a salty dog all the time...but it doesn't make them holier than thou.

People trying to change things with insinuations on the other hand......:rolleyes:

Is it too technical to refer to the sides of the car as "passenger side" "and "driver's side"?

you win I quit oh serious ones, I am going skiing, peace OUT

I'm a minnow in a sea of big fishes! Last boat didn't have a bathroom (no need for a bath on a day boat), just a head. :)

Agree that everyone on a boat (even guests) need to learn port and starboard for the safety reasons everyone else mentions.

Color coded the different lines on my small sailboat to make sure that a guest could understand which rope we were talking about. This way I could say pull the red, green, blue line, along with the proper terminology for the line. Kept everyone involved with sailing the boat and having a fun time.

Jim

I would suggest you don't use the word "skiing" it's too specific to a particular activity.

Left or right-hand steering? :angel:

Jim

I need a part for my car. It took a while to identify it, even when I had the parts guy email me the diagram from his book. Once identified, when I explained that I need the one for the driver's side, he corrected me "the left one" as that car can be ordered with left or right hand drive, but that part is the same on either, but the right hand one is a mirror image of the left. I now can get it by calling it "Q61199", the left hand roof anchor on the tonneau cover.

Back to topic now.

"Is it too technical to refer to the sides of the car as "passenger side" "and "driver's side"?"

I believe" road side" and "curb side" are the preferred terms.

"Is it too technical to refer to the sides of the car as "passenger side" "and "driver's side"?"

I believe" road side" and "curb side" are the preferred terms.

Unlike Port and Starboard, which are universal, road side and curb side, may be different sides in different countries.

Unlike Port and Starboard, which are universal, road side and curb side, may be different sides in different countries.

Yes, and this is like a previous discussion on what constitutes the 'left bank', or the right bank ' of rivers. Some didnt recognize , nor had even heard of the convention of facing downstream as reference, like front of boat for port/starboard. Turned out some local communities go by north/ bank. But of course thats no good universally since rivers meander.

What matters is the Navrules/Colregs if you have ever heard of them.

... Turned out some local communities go by north/ bank. But of course thats no good universally since rivers meander.

Except that typically, communities don't move and so maintain a constant relationship with the river. So the descriptor "north bank" works all the time, unless the river moves.

But in built up areas, the river is usually controlled so that it has a very hard time moving.

Back
Top Bottom